Thermostat Scheduler Miss

I thought I did.... the third one. Debug Logging was not enabled on this thermostat so I fixed and verified on all the others. Are you saying the thermostat log I sent is incomplete (due to not having Debug) or did I not catch the log you need?

8:55 is when I clicked on the Thermostat Scheduler App for a Thermostat. All 5 thermostats were not set to night mode per my dashboard. When I clicked through to one of them all of them updated. To look at it is to change it. That has to be a hint.

I've added a virtual presence sensor that will kick in Away Mode when there's no motion for some time. I will be interesting to see if that flushes through whatever is log jammed.

I'm referring to the last one, the Logs. There we can see the thermostat getting the proper command at 8:55. But we don't see what happened at 8:33.

Sorry, wasn't wearing my reader's apparently.... Here's a longer snippet....

So the thermostat got the setCoolingSetpoint command both times, at 8:33 and 8:55. Thermostat Scheduler sent it both times.

So I'm missing what it is that isn't working. Is the thermostat not responding to the commands that are sent to it?

What triggers the resend when I click into the Thermostat Scheduler app?

It's unlikely 2 different thermostats from 2 different manufacturers with 2 different drivers are both failing to respond to requests. Hopefully with the debug logging going we'll get more / useful insights.

I am seeing inconsistency in several ways on the HE disagreeing with itself on what mode it's in etc. Is it possible a "Factory Reset" is possible and/or in order at this point? If this thing was Windows' based fdisk it and start over.

No, you don't want to ever do a Full Reset without explicit guidance from our support team.

Please explain what you mean by "click into" the app.

Thermostat Scheduler created a separate line for each thermostat...

If I click into any of the lines that say "Thermostat Scheduler - [thermostat name]" it I see the screen showing the current setting not matching the schedule for the current mode. However, in the background it's resending the comment to the Thermostats as you see at 8:55 Las night. I'll try to capture it tonight if I can get to a real computer.

This Morning is even More curious.

EcoMode allows a 5 Degree push when in Away Mode... in this case up to 83F. When we arrived the (newly configured dashboard) showed:

So we should have shifted out of Away+Ecomode mode (@83F) to Away Mode (@78F) to Day mode (@75F).

Mode Manager view + log:

Here's the main log before I click on Thermostat Scheduler:

The Dashboard still shows the same. So now I will click through "Thermostat Scheduler - Commons"
It shows the discrepancy

Without clicking anything else, I see the Dashboard updates only the one thermostat:

The Log updates:

Dashboard still shows only the Thermostat - Commons at 75F
Thermostat Scheduler - Commons Log:

Now Thermostat Scheduler - Commons page looks correct:

Still only one out of 4 thermostats is at the correct "Day" mode setting of 75F.
It's log looks like:

Notice This shows the 8:04 to 78F and the 8:36 set to 75F in Both the Thermostat Scheduler Events and the Thermostat Device Event. But the 75F should have happened at the earlier time... it didn't happen until I clicked into the Thermostat Scheduler - Commons app.

So I just noticed that the two Zen thermostats are still at 83F, but the 3 Centralite thermostats were at 78F (until I opened Thermostat Scheduler - Commons). This could be a hint or just coincidence.

Now I'll open the Thermostat Scheduler App for a Zen Thermostat:

Now you can see it has updated to 75F:

Notice the device Thermostat - Lobby Events doesn't show the original 2 attempts at 8:04 for 78F and 75F within a second of each other, the first is 9:02 when I clicked....

I clicked into the Thermostat Scheduler - Startup Kids and it updated:

Then...

Notice Thermostat Scheduler Sends the Cooling Setpoint to 78F at 8:04 and less than a second later to 75F. Possible race condition? Then Thermostat Scheduler sends 75F again when I click through the app at 9:22am. But the Thermostat only logs the 78F set at 8:04am, and then the first time it sets 75F is at 9:22 when I clicked through the Thermostat Scheduler app.

I'll try to leave two of the Thermostats alone for now. I don't understand if the logs for the Device show:
A) What it was asked to do
B) What it tried to do
C) What it thinks is successfully did.

Let me know what I missed that you need!
Cheers!

I'm curious if the problem could be too many commands all at once? I was having trouble with my ct101. A rm rule did not seem to work properly. I added delays between each action and now it seems to he working as expected.

In this context, not sure how I would put a Delay since they each run as single Apps, unrelated to each other. I could try and recreate the same function in Rule Manager but hoping to avoid re-inventing the wheel if capturing enough details helps find the root cause solution for everyone.

I just hope the verbosity is seen as helpful not whining :slight_smile:

We suspect there may be a driver issue underlying this -- evidence points to that. The engineer is on vacation, but when he returns we will dig into that deeper.

1 Like

OK - I removed my Thermostat Scheduler "apps" and Mode Manager dependency for the 5 thermostats and setup RM 4 Rules to change the Thermostat setpoints based on motion only. Let me know if there's any progress or when I should set it back up for further testing.

Cheers!

The problem appears to be with the thermostat driver, so removing Thermostat Scheduler and moving to RM should, in theory, not make it any better.

Then I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

Isn't it 2 different drivers (Zen and Generic) or under the hood is it the same one in effect?

No they are completly separate though some of the core logic is the same

Here's an interesting one... the Thermostat Lobby "settings" don't match it's actions

The cooling setpoint shows as 81.9f, but even with the temperature at 76.5F it's still actively cooling.

I clicked refresh and things cleared up to something reasonable....

and the full log after refreshing in case it helps....

Tonight I noticed a Thermostat had not been adjusted by my rules. I checked the device and tried to refresh it, but it didn't change. So I went to the rule and clicked Run... but nothing was logged in the rule event log...

but in the main log you see it tried....

But the Thermostat didn't change....

so I agree in principle with @bravenel nd nothing in it's event log...

So I confirm @bravenel suspicion that Thermostat Scheduler being removed from the equation didn't fix the problem. Just logging this in case it helps narrow the list of suspects.

Any news? Thx!

At this point I think you need to restate what your issue is.

Thermostat Scheduler and Rule Machine intermittently but regularly fail to update my thermostats until I click through to them or rerun the rule. You had some confidence it was a driver issue even though two different thermostat drivers are seeing similar behavior.