Thermostat Recommendations

So I know there a lot of topics out there but trying to figure out what combination or recommendations are out there. Right now we have Nest that came with the house and at first we liked, but I have come to hate it. We have a 1 year old and his room can get pretty cold and I have a rule that will turn our lights if his room gets below 65 degrees (smart things button temp in the baby room). I really want to get away from the light turning on to turn up the heat. I am looking for thermostat where I can set up sensors in different parts of the house. Then average out the ones I want for the Thermostat to use and change which one its average throughout the day. Maybe down the road incorporate motion sensor as well (aka the functionality of Echobee). With the smart home integrations I am trying to keep everything in one place aka Hubitat hub. The couple of recommendations I have seen on the forms are EcoBee (mixed reviews), GoControl, and Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave. I did see that Woot has a deal on the EcoBee for 150 and this what lead me down the rabbit hole lol. It seem liked a good price and I am really considering it. What is everyone thoughts?

https://tools.woot.com/offers/ecobee4-smart-thermostat-with-alexa-sensor-4?gclid=CjwKCAiAsaOBBhA4EiwAo0_AnNi6o7S0Qn42EP-NanJEaVZAtAv5Y01l3ZL7yYGS-j5E4WIIj2eylRoCCw4QAvD_BwE

If you have Hubitat, you don't really need your thermostat to have a remote sensor that speaks only to it, because you can use any number of available temp sensors in various rooms, and have Hubitat turn up a thermostat if a room gets too cold.

It depends somewhat on the type of heating system you have and what else you want the stat to do, such as whether it needs to control a humidifier, etc. But if you're just controlling heat and AC, I'v had great results from the GoControl z-wave stat. And if you really want a stat that's separate from the hub, I've had decent results from Ecobee.

I find the Ecobee and their sensors work well, we have installed 100s of them and in some houses they go hog wild with sensors and others they just want the central thermostat. Heating and cooling are mission critical and since this soltuion can stand on it's own and still integrate with Hubitat it's a very powerful solution.

As a bonus the Universal Ecobee Suite has all sorts of handlers so you can either use the Ecobee smart follow me and heat recovery, or the ones that Barry has put into his suite:

1 Like

I went from Nest, to Go Control, to Honeywell's Pro, then back to the GoControl. Of the two zwave devices; the GoControl had a more solid integration with HE than the Honeywell T6 product that is more expensive. I went back to GoControl. With a C power wire it has a very solid repeater and i see it doing a bunch of work in the mesh on my packet sniffer. The GoControl is less and IMO it worked more reliably. This all of course is based upon HE doing the heavy lifting. I do no processing on the stat at all, it is all done in rules. (i.e. schedules, settings, etc.)
https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Thermostat-Z-Wave-Battery-Powered-Works/dp/B00ZIRV40K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=gocontrol&qid=1613699743&sr=8-3

1 Like