Thermostat recommendations

Picture? Usually the difference is fast blow or slow blow. Perhaps the E is for Expensive.

This is the fuse I pulled out of the system

This is what I replaced it with.

Or perhaps it is a stylized "3".

"E" rated fuses are actually a thing: https://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/medium-voltage-fuses/medium-voltage-fuses/e-rated.aspx
Since that fuse is so hard to get to, you should probably replace it with the correct one so you don't need to go into the attic when it's 100 degrees outside and the AC goes out.

1 Like

Any idea where to buy an E-rated fuse? Do I need to go to an hvac supply store? I searched online figuring I could order these pretty easily, but the only place I can find it is ebay. I’m not sure I trust ebay for this.

E Rated fuses provide transformer protection and are medium voltage, current limiting, general-purpose power fuses that provide overload, and short circuit, protection. E Rated medium voltage fuses are designed to withstand the large magnetizing inrush, that occurs during transformer start-up.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/littelfuse-inc/0ATO003.V/2519129?utm_adgroup=Fuses&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Circuit%20Protection_NEW&utm_term=&utm_content=Fuses&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnb79BRDgARIsAOVbhRqmkckwM8U0pdrtPWPs_0aXm_r6N-eLWxTpWg4eFBNkh-J-rOQl3CkaAk4vEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-VP-ATC-3-RP-Violet-Acting/dp/B009WQPWVK

1 Like

Both of the linked fuses say "automotive fuse". I don't see where it says "E-rated". I'm pretty sure those are the same as the fuse I replaced the "E-rated" fuse with. Is it possible they are actually interchangeable or the same thing? I can't seem to find the "E" fuse anyplace online.

?? Lewis Heidrick (@lewis.heidrick) provided exactly the link you need, showing that the exact fuse (with picture) can be obtained from Digi-Key. I’ve bought from Digi-Key (my SiLabs USB 700 series stick), they are fast and prices are reasonable.

If the Digi-Key link is what I need, I'll order from that site. I only questioned it because, in the description, it says:

"FUSE AUTO 3A 32VAC/VDC BLADE"
and:
"Detailed Description 3A 32V AC 32V DC Fuse Automotive Holder Blade, ATO/ATC"

I see no place where it says "E-rated" or for furnace/ HVAC use in the description.
Unless I'm overlooking something on the product page.

Thanks again for all of your help!

yes... I see the picture... and it looks a lot like the one I pulled out of the HVAC unit, but could that marking not be a "3" though too? I would have thought that some place in the description of the item it would say "E-Rated" or "for HVAC use".

Well, on close examination of the Digi-Key picture, your picture, and the LittleFuse data sheet:

It appears that all are the same, and are a “3” for the amperage rating. Look at the wording on the Digi-Key picture. “Fuse” is oriented upright, which indicates that the “3” is not upside down.

Apparently it’s the purple color that is the type indicator.

Also, Lewis Heidrick (@lewis.heidrick) knows what he is talking about. I would buy it on his recommendation alone.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks so much! I will order form there then.
Obviously, judging by this thread, I’m actively learning. I was only questioning because it wasn’t clear to me, not because I was questioning the recommendation or anyone else’s knowledge.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.