Thermostat Controller weights

So I had this problem today where my office which has a temperature sensor got very hot compared to the kitchen one where I have the main thermostat sensor. There was a 5 degree difference with the office being 80 and the kitchen being 75. I was combining the 2 sensors but it didn't seem like the AC was activating so I removed the kitchen sensor and just used the office one. That cooled things down but now I'm wondering if I could have done something similar by using weighting. I just don't understand what number I should put in either of them to tell the controller to lean one way or another. The defaults are 1 and 1 but I don't know if I should put 2 or 99 in the number slot or what they mean. Can anyone assist with an example of how to set it up to use one room more than the other but give one room more of a bias?

Read through this thread. It sounds like you are using a averaging app for your temp sensors. there is a post that talks about how you can weight averages.

I guess my question was more about what units the weights are supposed to be and what practical effect that has on how the thermostat controller abides by those temperatures. I guess I just don't have a good understanding of how weighted averages work. I did do some googling about them but wasn't sure how to apply it to the controller if that makes sense.

Well from looking at the code for the averaging program I use , the weight basically adds the number the weighted sensor more times

def offset = settings["offset$it.id"] != null ? settings["offset$it.id"] : 0
total += (it.currentTemperature + offset) * (settings["weight$it.id"] != null ? settings["weight$it.id"] : 1)
n += settings["weight$it.id"] != null ? settings["weight$it.id"] : 1

I have only done a bit of groovy programming but basically it looks the weight just creates additional instances of the sensor you weight and adds it to the average.

So it's probably just trial and error. Starting giving more weight to the office temp sensor and as it heats up it will starting skewing the average temp higher. Which in turn would cause the AC unit to turn on sooner.

Agreed. I started adding 1 then 2 to the weight and the average went in favor of the device I increased the weight for. Makes sense and it even displayed the new average below when I did so. I wish I had noticed this before asking the question but maybe this can help somebody else.