The technology shift of Smart Bulbs and Hubitat

I have 2 of the Lifx bulbs, so not a representative sample, I feel. I'm not a big user of Bulbs and don't expect that to change. But my thoughts on them are:

• On one hand, a smart bulb is a smart bulb. Zwave, Zigbee, WiFi or some future Matter product, they will all consume RF. A WiFi bulb's consumption is going to be significantly smaller that Zigbee or Zwave. Let's assume the bulb needs less than 100 bytes to do something.. ZWave at 100kb vs Zigbee at 250kb or WiFi at 56mb? What is that?? 500x smaller use of the bandwidth?

• Of more importance in my calculations is the total number of IP's I have available on an artificially limited /24 subnet. I'm more than capable of increasing my subnet and thus increasing the available IPs to any number I wish. Will the bulbs operate with a non /24 mask? We know that Hubitat won't without intervention.

• The final element in my calculation is the limit on the number of devices my WiFi gear can handle. I "grew up" in the years before WiFi and thus my first response is to use a wire. Thus my WiFi isn't already crowded. Not empty either :slight_smile: A wire might be my first thought but wireless is certainly my second.

I already have a hub dedicated to outward facing traffic and the Lifx bulbs might find themselves added there eventually, but for now, they coexist on one of my ZWave hubs harmlessly.. but I must note that I have polling disabled on them, which helps, I'm sure.

Update:
I looked at device Logs for the hub with Lifx bulbs and they are not even in the top 10 for any of the metrics:

2 Likes

Fantastic. Also see @bcopeland He replaced every bulb in his house with Lifx and has been ecstatic. I think if he could retrofit his eyeballs with them he would...

3 Likes

I only have two Lifx bulbs over my kitchen island and they are my favorites. I'm controlling them via an Inovelli Red SN switch. They are fast, local, capable of dimming to a very low level and the quality of the light is unlike anything else I have tried. Very even, no harsh spots. Capable of being bright without glaring. In that location I first tried the Inovelli RGBW bulbs and then the Sendled RGBW. The Inovelli's light was uneven and there were endless control issues. The Sengleds could not get dim enough. Once @bcopeland tweaks the driver to add start raising and start lowering they will be perfect.

Purchased one of the Lifx bulbs to work with and learn. Very simple setup and I had it up and running in a short period of time. I run an IoT network (isolated from my computing devices) so I had a few things I needed to do there including set them up with static IP's, but that wasn't bad at all. I haven't pulled the Internet line to make sure it really isn't using the Internet, but it's working well.

Thanks for the input.

1 Like

It may try to go out for firmware updates, but you can turn that off in the lifx app.

1 Like