Thank goodness for SmartThings

Iā€™ve recently been playing around with home assistant expecting it to have wayyy more integrations than hubitat. But it really doesnā€™t. Iā€™ve noticed smart things was even bigger than home assistant and a lot of our integration were ā€˜ā€œportsā€. For such a ā€œsmallā€ platform we have the integration of a much bigger platform. Thanks to the community developers porting things over

3 Likes

People (on Home Assistant) used to make fun of me for saying Hubitat had more integrations. I'm careful with how I phrase this now because I understand where they're coming from: it has integrations for all sorts of LAN and clouds devices, many unofficial and reverse-engineered, but most (I think) well maintained. However, those devices aren't very important to me generally. I value Z-Wave and Zigbee device support far more, and in that arena, I think Hubitat is much stronger (especially for Zigbee, though I think Home Assistant is a lot better now than it was the last time I used it for this a couple years ago). I think that others who I see using Home Assistant but with all their devices on Hubitat acting more or less just as a radio would agree. I do know there are some things Home Assistant supports that Hubitat doesn't, and I'm not trying to disagree with anyone's assessment of how important those devices are to them; most of them just aren't to me.

Back to Z-Wave and Zigbee, I agree that being similar to ST is quite an advantage, especially in Hubitat's early days. Similar for apps, though Hubitat has always had built-in apps plus RM, so the desire for custom code there has probably always been less. Thanks to the work of Hubitat developers to create a very similar development environment, we were/are able to make devices that Hubitat doesn't officially support work. I've found those needs far less now, as with every firmware update, staff seem to add a few more devices, and now I think we might have the better native selection. :slight_smile: (And I'm starting to see more posts on the ST forum with people looking here to see if devices stand a chance of working on ST instead of the reverse). I'm wondering what ST's shift to their "new" model might do for both apps and drivers (it's still not clear to me if ST has laid out their new device model plans, but they're pretty clear that the existing app model will soon meet its demise).

Nowadays, I'm more careful with what custom code I run on my hubs (almost all now is just my own), but I'm not sure I'd still be here it if weren't for community effort in the begging, and I also really do have some ST community devs (not just the ones who became Hubitat staff or Hubitat community :slight_smile: ) to thank for that.

In other words, and perhaps I could have just said this instead of all that, I think this is a great observation. :rofl:

5 Likes

From a developer standpoint, how hard it to ā€œportā€ an integration. Like 1 hour, hours, days?
One integration that surprised me was withings, we have it but h.a doesnt

From Hubitat to ST or vice versa is usually pretty easy, but there are some differences, many of which are "find and replace" but some of which require more thought (HTTP--so many LAN apps and drivers--, anything with button devices, and probably more I'm not thinking of). This thread may be helpful: App and driver porting to Hubitat. I'd also consult Hubitat's developer docs for exact method signatures, even if they aren't fully documented behavior-wise (ST's classic dos are often helpful there).

From Home Assistant to either other platform would be a lot more work, since there are many considerations: different automation ("app"), integration, and device models on Hubitat, plus the work of porting not just the code itself from one language to another (usually Python to Groovy) but also making it work in the new environment with whatever libraries/frameworks the new platform or its development environment provides, some of which also relates to the first point (e.g., Hubitat isn't just Groovy 2.4; some additional method are layered on top, and some language features are blocked as part of the security model).

I was looking at ā€œbad nestā€ in home assistant. They figured a way to integrate new google accounts. Thank you for the information!

You can integrate things into HA through generic means. I integrated my Wyze cams to provide RTSP feeds to my HA dash

Thank you

Also easy to do with HE.

HA have had the Withings integration for quite some time as a ā€œcustom componentā€ which is quite similar to our community drivers and apps. Donā€™t remember when but since a while back itā€™s now in the core code.

Donā€™t you need a $5 nubu account?

No you donā€™t need a subscription but without one you need to publish your HA and install a certificate either manually or through the Letā€™s encrypt add on. And of course you need a valid domain or something like duckdns or dyndns.

As on of the ones using Hubitat for the radios and Home Assistant for everything else, I will say HE has great support for pretty much any Z-Wave or Zigbee device that I would possibly want to buy. But Home Assistant does integrate with significantly more. Many through built-in integrations (a quick check on their site lists 1,615 integrations), but so many more through custom integrations. Some were critical to me, others are brands I've never heard of for use cases I would never use.

You can use the $5/month nabucasa account, or a free duckdns address, the duckdns integration that updates the ip for you, and for simplicity I recommend the nginx integration.

Neither platform has integrated the withings sleep sensor for on/off although I've heard the api now exposes that. I still use ifttt.

As for nest... HA has badnest, smartthings has a nest integration from yves racine, homebridge has a nest integration.... the method is out there, we just need a dev to be able to reverse engineer them and build it for HE.

2 Likes

I I tried bad nest, doesnā€™t work on the upgraded hassio. Does the st one work well? It cost $?

I'm using badnest right now, it works fine... Did you try the original repo which hasn't been updated in a year or so, or the forked version where a dev has been actively maintaining it and applying fixes? The thread is a little confusing because the first topic links to the old repo.

No clue on the ST one, yracine charges for his apps, something like $25 to be able to use them and you get 3-4 code updates then have to pay for any further ones.

1 Like

Ohhh, the old one. I canā€™t find the new one

here you go

This does require you to migrate to a google account

1 Like

Thank you a lot. If this works I can decommission Homebridge

It seems my config is adding it to eight instead of making a new integration?
ā€œ Invalid config for [eight_sleep]: [badnest] is an invalid option for [eight_sleep]. Check: eight_sleep->eight_sleep->badnest. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 14).

11:15:41 AM ā€“ Hass.io (ERROR) - message first occurred at 11:11:17 AM and shows up 4 timesā€˜

You have an extra space there before badnest (this is why I despise yaml lol)

1 Like

Thanks, it never works for me tho