Test if Scene is On or Off

I'm trying to write a rule to automate bulb brightness and color based on mode. It triggers when the bulb is turned on and sets the color and brightness per-mode. The issue is that I have a couple of scenes that also control this bulb and set a specific color and brightness regardless of mode. Is there a way to detect if a scene is on so that I can avoid undoing the scene applied settings? I tried doing an if rule which checks the scene activator switch, but it doesn't seem to work. Not sure if this is evaluated before the switch is registering as on or not, but the rule machine rule still changes the bulb settings away from the scene settings.

Is it possible to accurately test if a scene is turned on? If not, is there a better way to handle what I'm doing?

Have you tried a conditional action?

Yes, that's exactly what I did...

Screenshot from 2020-05-25 09-41-58

The else condition is always the one that triggers. Even when the one of the two scenes in the conditional are what triggered the rule (by turning on the lamp in question), the else block ends up being evaluated and changing the lamp settings.