Terncy Tempting?

I'm surprised there's been no mention, not even a peep, about the Terncy Awareness Switch. At first glance, it looks like a sensor with a modestly different yet unremarkable combination of capabilities--motion, illuminance, temperature, and button. Looks like the manufacturer is Chinese. So far, nothing to write home about.

But their claim is that by using two motion sensors situated in a certain way they can capture direction of movement. Now that would be a game-changer. At $36 per unit on Amazon, I'm tempted to take a flyer and just give it a try. Has anyone tried it out?

Looks interesting.

But my God...it really irritates me when companies (big or small) can't be bothered to freaking spell check their websites. This one, on the FRONT PAGE, in the main IMAGE! Incredible.

/OCD_rant

5 Likes

Saw this mentioned on ST a while back, and they were surprised no one mentioned it here (didn't realize we were the go-to place for new devices now--haha). If it works as well as they claim, it's definitely tempting. It's supposed to be Zigbee 3.0 (so should be theoretically be able to make work), but considering that it's another cheap Chinese device (just more expensive because it's under an American-oriented brand name), it's possible something isn't quite right with them (like the Konke motion sensor I tried).

Or... is it incredibly clever marketing about switching and awareness? Lol. Somehow I doubt it :smile:

Flip a coin to decide who's the guinea pig? I'm out. :grin:

I'm guessing that this may be marketing oversell. Their site has this bit of info:

So yeah, technically the device's 2 motion sensors would be able to tell if you're coming from it's left or right sides but I doubt it would be able to tell if you're moving towards or away from it.

Can the switch really feel disappointment?

4 Likes

Probably not but maybe the "Swtich" can.

6 Likes

I sat watching the home page for a while expecting a fancy animation of the 2 letters eventually switching position. Wow, damn I must be wrong and this is such clever marketing, I thought to myself. Eye catching, at least for someone as OCD as myself. Nah. Nada. Nothing. Just a pathetic typo I guess lol.

1 Like