Temperature Sensors

Xiaomi sensors are great! Not sure how accurate they are but didn't see any big differences.

1 Like

I use a couple of Xiaomi temp sensors too
They have been reliable for me (and cheap!)

Andy

Do these directly pair with the HU or do I need another in-between hub?

Direct zigbee pairing with a community driver

Andy

Cool. I bought 3 of them and the first one is arriving tonight. I really need the accuracy to be between 68 and 80 degrees F. Hopefully they will work!

You can always offset them, so shouldnt be a problem

And "shouldn't" would normally be an agreeable operative, especially if I was just dealing with single degrees.

However, most offsets adjustments are in single degrees only. This can allow for up to a .9 degree delta between devices and thermostats. I could have a sensor that's reading 71 degrees while my thermostat is reading 72. If I bump the sensor by 1 degree then it reads 72 which should match my thermostat.

The reality may be that my thermostat reads 72.1 degrees and the sensor now reads 72.9 degrees. So, in hoping that both devices read a 10th of a degree equally, a 3 tenths of a degree increase will make my thermostat read 72.4 and my sensor will read 73.2. This will activate my compulsiveness want to lower the offset by one degree. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So, it seems that with 5 sensors total, the best I can hope for is a majority of time where they all coincide. All this to ensure my comfort as well as consoling my compulsions.

Most all of our built in drivers for temperature sensors have software implemented offsets.
These do not work the way they were implemented in ST.
For ours one only needs to enter a current reference temperature. The offset is internally calculated and applied the values sent from the device.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I tried the generic zigbee contact sensor driver, but there was still a substantial amount of drift (almost like the devices were programmed in centigrades) between themselves and the thermostat. I then loaded the community Visonic code and they seemed to settle down a bit.

I just received my first Xiaomi (square) temp/humidity sensor. It seemed to have taken about ½ an hour to settle down. So far the Xiaomi seems to be tracking about 7 tenths below the thermostat. If it stays close to that then I think I'll be a very happy customer. I get the next three on Friday. I'll keep updating incase anyone is interested (and it's cheaper than therapy).

3 Likes

So it seems I'm back to the drawing board. The Xiaomi seems to be reasonably accurate for the 40 or 50 odd minutes it stays connected. And, the connected time isn't going to work out for me. I use an IRIS 3210-L as my Zigbee repeater and after spending a few hours trolling through all of the links here and on the smartthings site, it doesn't seem as though it's the repeater of choice for Xiaomi gear.ds

Try to change your zigbee network. It has to be as far as possible from your 2.4Ghz wifi network. I got my wifi on channel 1 and my zigbee network on 19. That helped alot for me

My Zigbee is on 21 and seems to keep the sensors online.

I think perhaps this is a distance issue, and as @homeauto2112 has researched, the repeater he's using isn't ideal for Xiaomi devices. I have two Aqara leak sensors and two buttons. All are stable and none have dropped off yet. However, even when others use my exact channels 13 (HE Zigbee), 25 (Hue Zigbee) and 1 for WiFi, they still get devices dropping. Most seem to be in larger homes. I live in a small house, so all of my Zigbee devices are within 25 feet or less of my hubs, which are centrally located in my home.

1 Like

Thank you @SmartHomePrimer. I didn't realize just how much research it was going to take to understand all the nuances of the Xiaomi. At this point I've fallen back to my original setup:

Wireless tag -> Wireless Tag Transmitter to the Cloud -> SmartThings Hub using HE Hub Link -> Rule Manager.

As you can see, this is a bit of a complex setup and I didn't want to break out the ST hub again, but it is what it is.

I've tried a couple of time to get the Wireless Tags app working with HE, but my programming skills aren't sharp enough yet. Hopefully I will get good enough to get it ported over. I've posted a few times, but I seem to be in the minority with my little tags :-).

Is there a plugin for Hubitat that will change the set point for a thermostat to that of a remote sensor or a group of sensors like Ecobee but with other thermostats? I am using a Nest thermostat. Thanks

Bumping this thread. It's 2 years old at this point. It's May 2020 now, so what's a good temperature sensor that works with Hubitat? I know most of them are motion sensors, and that's ok I guess, but I don't plan to be doing anything with motion in this room. The main variable I am interested is temperature.

If your zigbee radio is on channel 15, 20, or 25 the konke temp/humidity sensor works quite well. I've had 15 of them in service for months, have never had one drop off and report data quickly (although like most sensors it is still base don the sensor changing).

Can be found cheap on AliExpress, other other Chinese retailers, if you don't mind waiting a little.

1 Like

Sounds like the WirelessTag.net sensors now have a hubitat driver. I haven't tried moving my Wireless Tags over to Hubitat directly yet, as I'm a new Hubitat owner. But, I've had Wireless Tags for several years now and they've been good for my use case, with a SmartThings driver and also a Homebridge driver.

There’s a whole line of indoor and outdoor sensors by ecowitt that can integrate with hubitat through a WiFi bridge they make and a community developer’s driver code.