Temperature Sensor in a Freezer

That's the key to log term operation. Keeping the transmitting section out of the cold environment as the battery chemistry does not get "frozen".
The main body of the sensor (the transmitter) can be mounted externally on the metal box that is typically your fridge / freezer allowing the radio signals to be transmitted to your hub.
Putting the sensor inside your metal box (read Faraday cage) will block the radio signals/waves.

Been running them just over 3 years now

1 Like

I just added a temp sensor in mini freezer here today. Mind sharing the rule you are using? Thank you.

On: Alert = Turns on all the lights in the house.

1 Like

I am using a 10k thermister running on a Hubduino. It reads the freezer temp every 120 seconds. When it is hot out, and we have the freezer open for a minute to find a particular cut of steak or whatever, the alarm was going off. To fix this, I created a private variable in the rule that needs 3 consecutive above temp readings. I have prerecorded audio messages that play through the whole house audio using another hubduino talking to an MCP23008 port expander that triggers and Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board (product id 2133),

Here is my rule: