Temperature Sensor

I have a media closet that holds all my AV gear. As of now, I have a fan plugged into a smart plug and set to come in the evening when we are watching TV. However, I would love to just have a tempature sensor so the fan will come on once a certain tempature is met. I would like to get something from Amazon since I have a gift card balance. Will a motion sensor that also reads tempature work in my application. I also see contact sensors that reads temperatures but not sure which sensor will work best for my application. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have had real good luck using Visonic contact as a temperature measurer. $15 at Mydigitaldiscount.

Even have a couple outside.

Is it the MCT- 340 E? If so, would I put both pieces of the contact in the closet, say mounted to the ceiling?

Thanks

You don't need the magnet. It will always show open but you're not using it for that purpose so who cares.

1 Like

Also, AAA batteries would be a lot cheaper long term.

It doesn't use aaa batteries. It uses cr2032. But mine last almost a year.

Don't be so sure about that. Lithium batteries last a lot longer than alkaline in my experience with sensors (though you could negate that some with rechargeables at the inconvenience of still needing to change them more). With your sensor hidden away as it sounds it might be, you could probably get creative and solder any 3V source to the battery terminals and then not worry about it at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the idea. Thanks I will give Visonic a try.

Late to the party, but if you want other suggestions, I have a SmartThings motion sensor β€” the 2018 version β€” that turns a fan in my living room off and on based on temperature. Works great.

If you want a USB powered sensor that responds quickly, you could try one of @iharyadi's awesome environment sensors. These are zigbee and work great. Not sure if he has any left for sale right now, as he is always tweaking their design to make them better and add more features.

1 Like

I have the MCT- 340 but I'm not seeing the temp change. It always says 48.2.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.