Taking pledges and looking for someone willing to get Wireless Sensor Tags working on Hubitat

Would be great thanks!

You may wish to try out the Aqara Temp/Humidity Zigbee sensor.
I am amazed that it can go through the walls of a freezer and refrigerator.
(Also very inexpensive!)
https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626702.html?wid=1433363

Any idea how accurate the humidity sensor is? I'm using my Wireless Tags in a humidor that I try to keep dialed in within +/- 1%.

Cheers!

Almost every consumer humidity sensor is +/-5% RH. That is what the Aqara are, too. At least on accuracy. Now, repeatability (which is what most people really want for control) is significantly better than that.

1 Like

Makes sense. The Wireless Tags are accurate to within +/-2% humidity, which is why I chose them several years ago.

I have a couple and can't get them to stay connected even within 10 ft of the hub...... They are very frustrating. Been researching this all morning and sounds like they are extremely picky about your other zigbee devices / repeaters.

I think somewhere earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that the Xiaomi sensors work well with Tradfri outlets and repeaters. I purposely added 5 of these in my ~2000 sq ft house.

I have other repeaters that are are not Xiaomi-compatible (eg. Securifi Peanut plugs), and they haven't stopped the Xiaomi sensors from working. It's just that the Xiaomi sensors won't work with them alone.

There is a good thread about stabilizing your Xiaomi here. I hope it help.

Or wait until the end of this year when (hopefully) all the new ZigBee 3.0 certified versions of Aqara products are available. I wouldn't expect them to be any more accurate though. But who knows?

I took the plunge recently and ported swanny's SmartThings WirelessTags app over to Hubitat. It's working great for my needs so far, but it is pretty untested. Here it is if anybody else wants to give it a shot: Hubitat/WirelessTags at master · bhazer/Hubitat · GitHub

Let me know how it works out. There are some differences with how the SmartThings app works. If enough people wind up using this, I can put together a README at some point.

6 Likes

UPDATE: I guess I just needed to wait a bit - now the tags show up fine. Looks like data being transferred. By the way, I have all types of tags (WST Pro, WST Pro ALS, PIR Kumo and Reed Kumo). I'm most interested in temp,humidity,light (for tags in my greenhouse) and then temp,humidity,contact/motion on the others.

I'm really excited for this! I tried out the code for WirelessTagsConnect.groovy, installed a user app, authenticated ok, logged into my WST account fine, app was looking good. I see all my tags listed, I selected a few, then ran into this error:

com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'Wireless Sensor Tag' in namespace 'bhazer' not found on line 188 (updated)

I couldn't figure out how to get past that. I have 13 WSTs but only selected 4 in the app configuration. It sees all the tags and they show in the log, each with a unique DNI.

Let me know how I can help troubleshoot this.

Well, glad it's sort of working. Weird about that error message. Did you install the device driver code first? Hubitat/WirelessTagsMotion.groovy at master · bhazer/Hubitat · GitHub

It is working great! I can't believe now I can monitor all my WSTs! It's very exciting. Data moving and going right to my influxDB for display by grafana.

I didn't have the driver code installed at first, that was my mistake. Now I have both motion and water installed. Another thing I didn't do was after setting the sensors in the app and clicking done, I didn't wait like the directions clearly say to do. I'm following directions now, it all works fine.

I couldn't figure out how to create multiple instances by changing the name in the app settings, each instance pulling a different set of sensors. Shouldn't I go back to the app code and change the name there?

Do you think it is possible to get the light sensor in ALS tags to report values also?

I have ordered a hub and a tag, so I'll be working with you on this shortly if it all pans out.

3 Likes

@b_h thanks for porting this app and driver. It seems to be working ok for me. The only difference I’ve noticed between this and the ST version is I occasionally get an error from the WST app that it can’t call the URL associated with HE’s OAuth connection. It happens a few times a day but seems to be just a momentary thing each time.

I couldn't figure out how to create multiple instances by changing the name in the app settings, each instance pulling a different set of sensors. Shouldn't I go back to the app code and change the name there?

I'm not sure if I'm getting the Hubitat terminology right here, but I believe the intention there is to create new instances of the app by going through "add a user app" again instead of just editing the one instance. That is mainly a hold over from the SmartThings version. I don't see any real reason why doing all 13 of your tags in one app would be a problem. Let me know if that works, and I'll remove the instructions to set up multiple apps.

Do you think it is possible to get the light sensor in ALS tags to report values also?

Possible - yes, but not something I'm likely to get around to in the next week or two :grinning:

I occasionally get an error from the WST app that it can’t call the URL associated with HE’s OAuth connection. It happens a few times a day but seems to be just a momentary thing each time.

I get this too. tl;dr It bugs me, but I don't think it is a big deal.

This is from something failing in the "push" from the WST server to the Hubitat hub which is going through the Hubitat cloud. My hunch is that it is due to a somewhat flaky connection from our hubs to the Hubitat cloud. According to the WST docs, we should be able to have the tag manager make a local call to the hub if they are on the same network, but I couldn't get that to work.

Also, one thing I did with the Hubitat version of this app is to have WST push temperature and humidity updates. The SmartThings version asked for some events to be pushed but not that basic one. So, it could just be that we are seeing the errors now because there are lots more opportunities for failures. If it's a problem, you can turn off "pushes" in the app and only rely on it polling the WST server. I wish I could stop the WST app from alerting about every single error, but I don't see an option for that.

1 Like

A naive question: does the tags connect directly to HE or they still need their hub?
Would you suggest such a device as a presence sensor?
Thank you in advance

I have 8 tags going now for several days with no problems. I will increase to all 13 and see how it goes.

I will poke around in the code, but I assure you that will take me longer than 2 weeks to get it working.

I also have this problem, I am just ignoring it for now.

Yes, you still need the WST hub. I have one of their PIR kumosensor's and that works great for presence detection.

THANK YOU!!!!! Wireless tags are my absolute favorite temperature monitors. The calibration ability is just crazy accurate. I've waited so long to be able to use my wireless tags again!

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Hopefully @johnday29 sends you some ca$h for the efforts. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes