Sylvania Lightify Light Strip reset process - Help meeeeeeeeeeeee (RESOLVED !)

Which is the only reason I get up every day, to make you guys happy. :partying_face:.

I'll give this a try. My first three dozen tries were unplugging and replugging into the wall. None worked. The rule was supposed to turn off the smart plug I had plugged the strip into for the purposes of doing the power off power on dance...at some point I got distracted (doing several things at once last evening) and I just forgot and set it to on\off for the strip, rather than the plug. Grrrrrrr....

Worked...oddest part is I was not even close on the 5s timing, but at some point it started blinking and was ready to pair w/the Sylvania gateway. I am not looking foward to doing this 8 more times when the rest of the strips arrive... [eek] The dperson at Sylvania who cost-reduced a reset button out of these strips had better hope I never find him/her... :rage:

Got them re-paired with HE, so all is well for now. The unplug/plug process is SO much easier and reliable using the method you provided, @Ken_Fraleigh. I owe you another beer...

If you remove them in the lightify app, they should be ready to pair immediately to HE. Same with deleting them from HE to update on Lightify. Then you don't have to reset them.

3 Likes

I use the same method, unplug the connector, not the plug, works everytime, but while figuring it out, I ripped out most of my hair, ala 3 stooges style

BTW-edited your title to indicate resolution, hope it's okay

1 Like

Thanks, good point, and I marked Ken's (the one about just removing them from HE or the Lightify app, which is much easier) as the solution.

1 Like

Just pray you never have to reset the wink/hampton bay zigbee fan controller. I flipped the switch so many times, my thumb is still healing

2 Likes

@Ken_Fraleigh

Just received 8 of the light strips, was going to do quick setup in Lightify app to update the FW and then remove them to be ready to pair w/HE later.

Wierd thing is, so far I've opened two, and when I plug them in they just sit there, don't go into pairing mode. Tried turning them off and on again, and still nothing, not ready to pair.

Wondered if you've seen this before...I'm about to go into the super-fun on/off dance, and wanted to ask if you've seen this before I have that enjoyable experience again. I'm a little worried that it's two-for-two on not starting up in pairing mode. The strips were sold as new, from Walmart, and the first strip I got from there started up fine. From the packaging and my experience buying stuff the strips and everying in the box look new/untouched. Any suggestions?

Bizarre...plugged in the first set again and they went into pairing mode. App tried to pair, got four blinks, but it failed to show the light. Killed the app, cleared cache and data, restarted, logged in, and my light strip was there, paired. No wonder these guys had to close down... [eek]

Second strip is still going on w/a strong blue tint when I plug it in, but won't go into pairing mode. Going to try the on/off again (per method pulling the cord you unscrew, but did it several times before and it didn't work...

Third strip started up in pairing mode normally. Onward... :wink:

Sounds like you have a strip to return. I haven’t seen this happen with the eight or so I bought.

Thanks - that's what I thought as well.

But then I thought.

I had plugged it in backwards, the connector that connects to the strip. Flipped it over, and voila, turned on in pairing mode. What that means is that every time I plugged in that one strip I managed to consistently do it backwards - at least three, more likely four times. I'd say that makes me very special in some way or another. :wink:

And...note to self: Do not work on stuff you're not very familiar with in a room that you've darkened so that you don't disturb your napping wife. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: Thanks for that. That honestly made me laugh.

1 Like

All done and had 7 good and one dud...the power supply in the second to last set doesn't work - no juice. So one failure on 9 that I've purchased so far, 12% failure rate in my sample. Glad to get through all the FW updates on the others.

I've now spent 24 hours trying to reset my three strips, as I'm moving them from my old C-7 to a new C-7 (I did a Hub Protect migrate).

The first strip (with the easiest access) reset immediately with 5 power cycles. The other two (plugged in under the kitchen sink) I've tried dozens of times. I've tried by (1) unplugging the power brick, (2) plugging them into a power strip and using the switch there. I can't reach them easily enough to unplug the connector from the controller.

Any further suggestions on how to reset them?

I read the rest of the thread. I plugged in the old hub, re-enabled Zigbee on it, and removed them there. After that the they paired immediately on the new hub. So success - and it was annoyingly quick after the hours I spent trying to reset them.

Now I'll try to do with my two Garden Spots. (it's under 20F outside, so I really didn't even want to try plugging and unplugging those)

UPDATE: it worked for the Garden Spots, but they wouldn't pair until I went outside and physically unplugged and replugged them once.

I still would love to know how to reset any of these Sylvania devices. I was only able to do one of them, and I don't know what I did right that time. What would I do if the old hub was dead?

1 Like

@Ken_Fraleigh is the zen master here...I am (to mix metaphors) a lowly padawan...

1 Like

:smiling_face: Might be a bit over the top, but thank you.

I reset them by unscrewing the connector between the power supply and the Zigbee module, then using that to disconnect/reconnect power. The power supply seemed to power down to slowly to get the timing right for resetting them.
I think you can also reset them with a Zigbee light link button controller if I remember correctly. Not helpful if you don’t have one though.

1 Like

That's what I tried also, and found that worked for me some of the time.

Next time I'm going to just pop the master breaker on my entire house repeatedly... :wink:

2 Likes

Just so long as you don’t have anything on a UPS. Also only at night, when the wife is home, and be sure to post video of the event here :rofl:

2 Likes

Can you still use the original HE? I’m assuming no is the answer or you could just delete them from that hub, since you already have the database copied to the new hub. That is how I am going to do it whenever I get my next hub. Apologies if you just slapped your whole face.

1 Like

That is how I managed to finally get them to work: doing a remove on the original C-7 opened them up for pairing on the new C-7. I was just wondering how I would have accomplished this if the original C-7 was dead.

It's really weird that the first of the 3 worked by plugging/unplugging. I tried removing the connector to the Zigbee module, but they are (well) mounted far under the kitchen sink and hard to access.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.