Switching from Vera to Hubitat

Aloha,
I'm a current Vera user and am considering switching to Hubitat.
Before I make the jump I am hoping to get some clarification on what Hubitat can do and any limitations I should expect. Thanks in advance!

My home is a small condo with 12 dimmer switches, 3 fan controllers, a Leviton scene controller, a pair of z-wave outlets, a z-wave door lock, and a single Vera Plus controller. I do use Alexa quite often to turn things on and off. I have some computer experience and am not afraid to tinker with advanced configurations should the need arise. Mainly I just want a stable system and lately Vera has been slow when attempting to open my dashboard and when responding to Alexa commands.

Questions:
I'm most curious about which devices Hubitat supports. I have a number of GE light switches, some of which are Z-Wave and Z-Wave plus. I've read that some of the older switches may not behave as well as the newer ones. Is there a way to check my Vera details to see which switches may not play nice or should I expect them all to work normally?

I have a Honeywell T6 Z-Wave thermostat. Currently I cannot control the fan using Vera. Can the fan be controlled via Hubitat? I'd like to be able to set up a scene to run it occasionally and on-demand.

Mahalo!

1 Like

A good place to start:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

3 Likes

The best source is this list, which contains devices staff know to work with built-in drivers (the code that handles communication between the hub and devices):

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

That being said, there are lots of "generic" drivers too that are likely to work with a variety of Zigbee and (especially) Z-Wave devices, even if they aren't specifically listed. There are also community drivers for many devices, though not officially supported. A search of the forum will reveal many of these.

Regarding Z-Wave switches/dimmers, the notable "problem devices" are many classic (non-Plus) Z-Wave switches and dimmers, which often don't report their states back to the hub in response to physical changes. This is due to a now-expired Lutron patent. It's not really about classic vs. Plus, though the timing roughly corresponds (some classic manufacturers did choose to license the patent, but notably not GE/Jasco). Polling is one option to help get states from these in response to physical changes, should you need that information on the hub; but it's also generally not a problem if all your commands are sent from the hub or you don't really need the state on the hub (e.g., because you're not viewing the device on a Dashboard where you might care). Most modern devices are not affected.

I'm not familiar with that particular thermostat, but perhaps someone who is can answer. In general, if a device supports some feature, a driver can probably do it--though sometimes, you just might need a custom driver over a built-in one for less common features.

3 Likes

Yes, it can. There are three fan modes if I remember correctly: Auto, On, Circulate.

P.S. Welcome to Hubitat!

1 Like

Thank you all for the quick replies. I'm glad I'll be able to control the thermostat fan.

One more question in comparing my device models to those on the compatible list... if a device is not on the list what's the likelihood it will still work? I have on older (2012) Z-Wave scene controller from Leviton and want to know if I'll need to replace it.
Leviton VRCZ4-MRZ Vizia RF + 4-Button Zone Controller with Switch

1 Like

There's a community integration for that device.

1 Like

Hi, all -- let me know if you need any assistance with my Leviton VRCZ4-M04 Zone Controller App and Driver

1 Like

Thanks @mpk, I was able to connect to it and see the 4 buttons in the "App" so I am good there. My scene controller has a load(ed) switch on button 4. I was successful with an "include" command on this "separate" switch and labeled it as a generic switch. I am now able to turn the light physically connected to it on and off from the Hubitat device list. I also mapped button 4 of the scene controller to turn on the wired switch, but when pressing the button on the controller it doesn't work. Does your driver/app support a loaded switch on button 4?

app:462022-05-23 08:29:46.540 pm errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'setButton' is not supported by device 7. on line 61 (method updated)

app:462022-05-23 08:24:37.160 pm errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'setButton' is not supported by device 7. on line 61 (method updated)

app:462022-05-23 08:22:34.686 pm errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'setButton' is not supported by device 7. on line 61 (method updated)

app:462022-05-23 08:21:30.126 pm errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'setButton' is not supported by device 7. on line 61 (method updated)

app:462022-05-23 11:40:16.973 am errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'setButton' is not supported by device 7. on line 61 (method updated)