Switch recommendations to reduce delays with Bond

Just so we are on the same page, this is where you refer above to the switches controlling the fans via a Bond hub? So not directly (physically) turning something on, just the switch's Zwave message to the hub, more like a button controller?

What model number are these, and what driver (Device Type) are you using for these?

1 Like

sure so they are the GE Enbrighten GE 14291 switches. I was using the default DTH but also just switched to the "GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch" which changed nothing.

and yes they basically are functioning like a button controller and switch is wired such that the fan is always on

You could try the community driver by JasonJoel, but I am not sure that would make much if any difference.

So I think you need to do some experimentation to figure out where the lag is occurring. Turn on logging for one of these switches, the Bond integration, and any rules etc that are in use. Watch the logs while turning the GE switch on/off and see if you can figure out if the hub isn't receiving the signal quick, if it isn't processing the rule fast (assuming there is one for this?), or if it is the Hubitat to Bond integration.

Post the logs and maybe we can figure out where this is occuring.

My GE switches of this exact model aren't the fastest thing ever, but they are 0.5 second or less from the time I push the command on the hub, to the time the light goes on, and the hub receives the signal pretty much immediately if I press the physical switch.

To me that says possible lag from switch to hub, but having a screenshot for this with you trying this from the switch and then from the hub menu would be interesting to analyze.

log for the bond events

log for the switch events

these logs show the command is happening much faster than the actual light turning on, i'm so confused. With my eyes I can definitely see the digital events resulting in the lights turning on faster but you wouldn't guess that with these logs...

also despite having logging on for these basic rules, i don't see any event history

You should see this in the Logs tab, in sequence. It is a lot easier to put things together that way then looking at the separate events logs.

Here is what I get on a motion sensor trigger, using Lights On Motion Plus app, with a GE dimmer similar age to your switch. At the end I manually turn it off then on, and back off again.

Click Summary to expand:

Summary

In addition to @neonturbo 's questions:

1. Can you show the automations you're using in HE to turn on the fans using the Jasco switches? Screen shot of the contents of the automation(s)?

2. And what driver are you using for the Jasco switches?

1 Like

thank you to all helping btw, the level of guidance and support in this community has been incredible

and i'm using the bond home integration that can be found in the package manager app.

Just for kicks...change the driver of the switch to JasonJoel's GE Enbrighten driver:

That gives you a virtual button for each press of your switch - on = button 1, off = button 2, on double tap = button 3, etc.

Then change your automation to use the button events from the swtich, rather than the "on/off' events that you're using now.

I use above setup in a number of automations and they run w/out issue.

1 Like

Gave that a go and it's still a big delay. Although I don't think it shows that in the log. This is infuriating.

if I initiate the button press from hubitat, it's much faster. here are the logs

Don't forget about HOLD for each button for a total of 10.

1 Like

I'm stumped...logs don't lie, it's working immediately. You must be lying, so we won't talk to you any more, and you will not be invited to the pot luck tomorrow.

:wink:

I try to use humor to deflect when I'm too dumb to help.

I control all of my fans via Bond and Pico button presses, and I don't have any of these strange delays. Sorry can't help more. I'll try setting up one of my Jasco switches button press to initiate a fan command via Bond and see what happens.

1 Like

It's all good. Thank you so much for the help. Bond said said to try using http put requests via local API. I built them in webcore but it resulted in the same delay. It's perflexing. I'll even record a video to show the the delay lol

OK, set up one of my Jasco switches to control fan light via button 3 (double tap on) using Jason Joel's driver. Using Simple Automations app:

Actual response time is about 1s+, just slightly slower than Pico which is less than a second. Neither would result in any family member complaining about delays, though neither is as fast as physical switch controlling a light directly. My Bond is at the other end of the house from the fan light I was testing with.

Still not sure why you're getting such long delays...let's remove Bond from the equation. Can you set up an automation that doesn't use the Bond - automate some other switch turning on when you turn on your living room switch that you want to use to control the lights.

1 Like

I don't think this is relevant here, the OP is trying to send one command to one fan. You have your other thread describing this problem, let Smckdwn989 get help with their exact issue.

1 Like

I think this is a good idea. Eliminate the Bond from the equation.

In addition, what about using either Simple Automations (my first choice with this easy rule you have) or Rule Machine and see if either one are noticeably better or the same.

1 Like

@danfox52 or @stephen_nutt I think you guys use Bond, have you ever seen lags like what OP is describing here? I don't use it so I can't say what normal behavior is like.

1 Like

I use button controller 5.1 rule with an inovelli wall switch to control some zigbee bulbs,and it's practically instant response. Just for the hell of it try changing to button controller.

2 Likes

It isn’t. I didn’t intend to post here. Deleting.

1 Like

Not sure if this data point helps or not. Lutron Pico activating a fan light through a Bond bridge. It is almost instantaneous. The fan is also quick to respond.

1 Like