Support of OTA firmware updates for Z-Wave / Z-Wave Plus devices

I believe there was also some things like double tap that did not work on the older firmware of even the Z-Wave plus models. The Z-wave plus spec has OTA updates, so there is no reason that GE shouldn't provide some way of updating the device. At the very least allowing you to send it to them

There is one reason ---- MONEY!

Perhaps they'd prefer people by their latest products instead of updating their old ones?

Or they help convince people who have 40+ devices to switch to Lutron instead :rofl:

The Z-wave plus model is thier latest though.

I hear ya! I have been contemplating that same move to Lutron...

1 Like

I have been happy with the Leviton ones, especially with the latest FW.

Sounds to me like they have original Z-Wave Plus (no double tap support) and new Z-Wave Plus (with double tap support.) So if you want/need double tap, the only option from GE/Jasco is to buy a new switch and hope it has the latest firmware on it.

Definitely is not inspiring brand loyalty, eh?

No hence why I only bought a couple of their devices, mainly because there wasnt much other options. I only have 1 GE dimmer and 2 Fan controls. The dimmer is only because I didn't have enough lines for the Leviton in a 3-way. And the fan control seemed to be the best option at the moment.

it doesn't affect my brand loyalty at all. I buy devices for what they can do today, not for what they may or may not be able to do in the future.

Same reason I didn't buy Hubitat at launch - it didn't do enough. Now it does, so I bought it. If they stop development tomorrow, I can live with it as-is for an extended time.

I see your point, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. If the product is buggy and they don't release firmware updates - well, that's a different story altogether.

As far as GE goes... I've bought >150 of the devices, had 0 failures/defects, and they work as designed 100% of the time. Oh, and they are always in stock and readily available (I'm looking at you vaporware Inovelli).

This is one of the reasons why I buy the Leviton's is because their dimmers offer better functionality to me at least. There are many options within the firmware I can tweak.

Also things like setting dim levels based on physical pressing of a switch, so for example if I turn on a switch instead if turning at 100% or the last level, it will turn on the level I specify using mode lighting.

1 Like

Need some tips!

I contacted Leviton for advice to upgrade the firmware and was sent firmware zip file. They recommended Aeotec Zwave stick to use with their software.

I have a Zooz S2 Zwave USB stick.

I heard one can buy Homeseer Zflash, software.

Is there a way to get my Zwave stick and use with the Leviton software? I always felt a Zwave stick is a Zwave stick....

You should be able to use the stick you already have. Just pair it as a device in HE and then use the zflash software to flash the devices.

If they gave you the flash utility also then I do not see why it wouldn't work, so in that case you don't need the z-flash software.

I followed the Leviton instructions and it gets stuck at "this Zstick is not legal !". I then used their supplied UZB.inf drivers and manually updated the drivers in windows and tried again. It gave the same result. It seems they may have developed their software to only use Aeotec brand, but as a newb, I can't be for certain.

I may have to just bite the bullet and purchase the Homeseer Zflash or buy the Zwave stick they recommend.

I would just get the zflash software since you could use it to flash other devices.

Guys I see some had luck with this. I selected the firmware suggested above and using the HE zwave stick. I purchased the homeseer zwave software however every time it says it failed

Initializing Z-Wave interface (Generic Serial Controller) on COM3The serial port (COM3: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Z-Wave interface disabled

Did any of you find you had to change baud rate or anything really would like to get this flashed without buying yet another zwave stick. The devices are not reporting correctly in HE and I am of the understanding updating the firmware should help

So I have the Smartstick+ and Z-Flash.

I'm trying to join this as a secondary controller. Here are the steps I take.

1.) Add Remove as secondary from z-flash
2.) Hubita - Discover new devices
3.) Save discovered Device
4.) Z-Flash sees devices, but cannot get info from them?
5.) Driver set on Z-Flash under Hubitat is "Device"

What am I doing wrong?

I just ordered new switches from Amazon and the firmware on them is coming up as 1.20 out of the box now.

1 Like

Did you ever get this working? I have the same problem. It actually detects two of my zwave devices but not my Leviton switches, Stuck at Error getting version information for node 3, Send failed.

No, I never got around to having time.