Zwave setup not working with Zooz devices (C7)

I hate to get in the middle of your interaction with Bruce Ravenel because he is much more knowledgeable than I am. I will let the two of you finish before I start back in.

I just created a ticket with Zooz.
However, my switches worked perfectly fine using Hassio and two different z-wave usb sticks.
I'm not saying it's not the switches, just that it would be odd to only have issues work with Hubitat.
Perhaps it is the S2 security that is the issue... because I don't think that is supported on Hassio.

Don't let me stop you. I'm just an observer on this one. Obviously, we'd like to know what's going on.

That was one of the things that I was going to suggest, that you remove the device (go to the device page for that device, hit remove, which puts hub into exclusion, then do the exclusion dance with the Zooz device). Then include again, unchecking all boxes, to get no security. You’ve got lots of practice now.

I have a Zooz Zen16 MultiRelay, never could get it to work reliably when paired S2. Paired no security, it is solid.

I'll give it a shot. I read on here somewhere that devices connected without security was somehow worse, so I've always avoided it.

Yes, continuing, after you re-include without security.

First, it is extremely rare to have to do a hard reset. The soft reset procedure should be all that is needed unless you get ghost nodes, and you don’t have any now. They happen much less often after all the C-7 bug fix releases.

I would suggest two things.

First, install the Hubitat Mesh Details app. It will let us see what the state of your mesh is.

If you don’t feel comfortable installing a user-written app, here are the instructions. Post back if it’s not clear.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Install_Custom_Apps

I will poke about a bit for details on how to factory reset the switches.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @pro75357, if you already started a ticket with us we'll get back to you shortly. But just for context, are other Z-Wave devices joining fine and it's just the toggle switches that you're struggling with? We haven't received any other reports about the light switches (while there had been issues around S2 and multi-channel devices on C-7) so I doubt that it's a systemic problem. We'll do our best to solve it once we have more details!

No, to the contrary. The secure pairing is greatly improved now, was not good when C-7 was first introduced. Hubitat is the first hub using the SiLabs 700 series chip, so Hubitat has had to find and work around all the SiLabs bugs in their Z-Wave protocol stack, which is all new.

For now, until things settle, it’s probably best to pair without security unless the device is an access control device like a lock or an external door/window contact sensor.

@672southmain - so I excluded the device just fine, then re-included unchecking S2 and checking the S0 box. After I hit OK nothing happened, and it never "found" the device and did not include. This is the log:

Z-wave details table is now blank.

I have installed the mesh tool before. It currently just says "No data available in table"

@agnes.zooz - I have both toggle switches and toggle dimmers. Sometimes I think the dimmers work better (they are far more responsive - nearly instant) but they also seem to be the ones with the worst luck with inclusion.

Agnes (@agnes.zooz), upthread, he indicated he only has Zooz devices that he has been trying:

And it's frozen again. Include/Exclude and nothing new in the logs to indicate a response.

The switches don't support S0 security, they only support S2 Unauthenticated (if you have VER. 3.0 or higher) or no security. Have you tried including them with all of the security boxes unchecked?

NO, NO, NO. No security. S0 is the worst thing you could have done. Uncheck all boxes for security. None.

1 Like

Completely frozen? Can you get get to port 8081 to get to the Diag tools and do a clean shutdown?

No I mean the Z-wave radio is frozen. This is what it does. I can hit Include/Exclusion and - though the GUI seems like there is something happening- there are no entries in the logs. Switches don't seem to get any kind of signal either. Sometimes it gives the infinite "busy" message.

I just reset it (the Z-wave radio) and it seems to be functional again. At least I didn't lose anything. Will try to include that device with less than zero security this time :wink:

S0 IS security, just an older protocol that takes 3x bandwidth. We are talking NO security, ALL boxes unchecked.

Be sure to reset the switch to factory defaults before trying the include. You cleared out the Z-Wave radio when you did the hard reset.

Indeed. That is what I did, after excluding the device successfully. Oddly enough, it still asked me to match the codes, and then it got stuck on "initializing". It seems to be again frozen with a "Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message." this time.

And by frozen I mean the Z-wave radio - include/exclude do nothing and the logs are stale.

Well, this is a different thing. The Z-Wave radio is wedged from the initial bad include.

This s the only device, right? If so, the quickest way to get back to ground zero is to shut the hub down cleanly (since you seem to have UI control), power off for 30 seconds, power on, do Z-Wave reset from Z-Wave details page. Then, factory reset the device you included, Re-include a couple of them. You indicated that you knew how to reset the dimmers, so do those. I will go investigate how to factory reset the switches.

By the way, is your hub within a foot or so of the device when you try to include? I never could get my ZEN16 to include reliably unless the hub was close.

I do have an unknown device in the device list - I guess this is what you guys call a Ghost device. "Discover" just ends up with more "busy" messages.

The hub is essentially in the same closet as the switch. The hub has and can (with the above issues) pair with switches much further away. I'm just using this one because it is the most responsive, probably because it has a very good signal.

I will reset/restart/power cycle again and try less than zero (tm) security again.

While reset will work, it would have been instructive to go through the ghost removal process with you.

No matter. That ghost device could explain the Z-Wave busy issues and freezing, as you say, of Z-Wave radio.