Support for Bond hub

What error are you getting? I believe all of those should work except for colors and temperature, obviously.

On "Adjust dimmer level", I am not getting an error message anymore. It actually shows the action being triggered in the logs. It just doesn't reflect any physical changes at the light itself.

2019-12-01_16-30-34

On "Set dimmer level", no error either. Just the changes are not seen at the light.

2019-12-01_16-39-24

Same with fade dimmer over time.

For start raising or lowering dimmer, I do get an error:

Huh, I didn't realize the Start Level Change required a driver implementation. I'll have to take a look. If you use a # like 1 or 100 it makes no difference? Looking at the logs it appears to be what I'd expect.

On the "start lowering/raising dimmer level" actions, I do not see a way to specify a number.

No, I'm saying set a specific dimmer level. The start dimming apparently requires a code change that I have to think about. I did not realize that was a specific capability.

Gotcha. :slight_smile:
If I set a specific level number, with "set dimmer level", it doesn't give an error, It seems to run smooth from the logs. It just has no effect on the light level. It makes no change to the light :frowning:

Does the bond blink to show it sent a command? Also if you do the same thing from the bond app, does it work?

The bond does blink. If I use the bond app, I have 4 options for light related actions.

• On
  • Off
  • Decrease brightness
  • Increase brightness

If I click any of the decrease/increase via the bond app, it does affect the light and seem to change the levels in 15/20 % increments maybe?

The problem seems to be the bond is advertising that your device supports setbrightness but it really doesn’t. I’m thinking I’ll need to code something new for your fans.

Thanks for all your help! If you have a paypal or other donation option, let me know, I'll be more than happy to send you some beer/coffee money! :slight_smile:

Thanks, but I'm really just doing this for fun...

One last thing, could you grab https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcmeglio/hubitat-bond/debug-logging/apps/BOND_Home_Integration.groovy and use that app and turn on debug logging? I'd like to see what it logs as the fan state (it logs that every 30 seconds). I'm curious if it sends the brightness back or not...

Thank you so much for creating this. I can now control my two fans/lights from Hubitat including a rule to turn on the fans anytime the room gets above 80 degrees.

Here is the log. Weird thing is that via the original remote control, the light is set to 100%, but according to below, it reports as 90%?

I just set the brightness using the Bond app and each time I press, it seems to change in 10% increments according to your debug logs.

@dman2306: Clever solution to support different durations of holding down dimmer. We considered supporting something like that through our 1st-party integrations (Alexa, etc.) but the result was likely to frustrate many users because the reported brightness state would be arbitrary. We erred on the side of supporting less but well. I'm glad that you were able to leverage the API to support more advanced use cases for this community. Hopefully it can be clear enough through the Hubitat UI to give the right expectation.

In general, there are a few models of fans that have a ridiculous protocol where there's just one signal for "TogglePower" without any discrete TurnOn/TurnOff signals. That means that Bond is forced to emulate TurnOn/TurnOff using TogglePower and state tracking, similar to the ToggleLight scenario. --- Alas the joys of retrofitting these fans that were never intended to be used this way!

That said, I can't speak to the specific case without looking into the account (effected user could DM me or Jacob on the Bond Forums if you want to dive in).

Indeed there are many AC fans with a reverse toggle button on the hand-held transmitter. Sadly its a similar situation to the common light toggle button: we don't know the actual state of the fan. (In fact, quite often, the fan receiver doesn't even know with the way the AC motor reversals work). Our current implementation is to just expose the command but not the Direction feature action/state. --- In a future FW version, we should be adding state tracking for reverse in the Firmware/App, but it is subject to the same caveats as Light Toggle tracking is already. --- Glad you were able to hack something together in the meantime :).

1 Like

Is there a reason it advertises turnoff though and not just togglepower? I could fallback to that but it seems like it is less reliable by definition.

I have created a discussion on the Bondhome.io forum here:

So my thought is I could build state tracking (optionally) into HE but it seems better if this were in BOND since you'll at least know everything done via integration or the BOND app directly. For @jchurch it sounds like if he enables trust state in the BOND app he should be good. But for @wallich it sounds like you need to make a change to the firmware to track direction as a state, correct?

Then for @olivier... any idea why there is a SetBrightness command that seemingly does nothing? I would have thought if this command didn't exist that the hub wouldn't advertise it?

1 Like

Hmm.. not sure. If you could PM me a Bond ID for this, I could find out what's going on here. @olivier

It should be tracking it already. @wallich do you already have the device's trust_state configuration enabled? You could find this in the device settings screen.

If you only have direction-toggling command, and this flag isn't set, then when you tell the device to "SetDirection 1", and the Bond already believes the device's direction to be "1", it'll assume it's incorrect and invalidate its state belief. It'll then send the toggle signal and believe that it now has the right belief.

This behavior is there for users that use the physical remote very often. For such users, if the Bond's toggled state belief were wrong, they'd have a very frustrating experience, like the following:

• I see the light on
  • "Alexa turn off the light" Alexa: "Okay!"
  • Bond believes the light to be off already, does nothing
  • ???

This is probably the most unfortunate consequence of one-way communication.

Note: of course, for controls with discrete "turn on" and "turn off" commands, we send it every time regardless.

Had some Somfy shade motors installed in my house yesterday and it works really well with the bondhome.io hub and the BOND Motorized Shades driver. Many thanks @dman2306 @bond-jacob @bond-merck

3 Likes