Support for Bond hub

Yeah, here is their API documentation Bond Local API you can see Shades have an Open and Closed command as well as sometimes a Hold command that is essentially a "stop" but no support for the "my" button/

1 Like

I may have misrepresented my involvement :smile: I had a local blinds, awnings and shutters company supply and install the awnings and motors.

I'm not sure the exact awning product would be available for you in the states, but in terms of the type of awning, it is what the installers referred to as a pivot arm awning with a mesh fabric to reduce heat and UV rays.

The motor is a Somfy Altus 240V. The motor came with a regular power cord sticking out of it with no plug attached. You can just see the white cord on the outdoor photo. I needed an electrician to complete this part of the install. For another set of outdoor blinds I had an outdoor power point installed nearby on the brick wall and a plug attached to the end of the cord coming from the motor. For the pivot arm awnings I got the electrician to run the wire into the wall / ceiling and then wire it into an indoor power point, adding a switch in the middle (ignore the TP-Link smart plug, it's the switch on the actual wall plate that has the awning wired in).

This switch remains on all the time, supplying power to the awning, but is available to switch off for any maintenance or other reason. The only complication with this setup is that if the awning needs to be taken down at any time I essentially need an electrician to come out and disconnect the wire, whereas the outdoor power point and plug setup would not need this to happen.

1 Like

Thanks very much, very clear. :slight_smile: The install looks very good.

I have my blinds (interior horizontal blinds) set to adjust their position as the day goes on and the sun's position changes. Are you doing the same here?

I still think you can qualify this as a DIY...you did make all the phone calls yourself, right? :wink:

1 Like

I have a similar requirement, though not quite the same for these awnings. The reason I wanted the set position for the awnings was that the close command moves them to the furthest point they will reach, essentially covering the window, which is mostly ok for roller blinds when you just want them either fully open or fully closed, but I only want the awnings open part of the way like I have them in the photos.

The windows with these awnings face North, but I also have a balcony at the front of the house that faces west, so they get blasted with the setting sun. Those I would like to do something like what you are describing for my roller blinds. How do you achieve adjusting them based on the angle of the sun? If it's not strictly related to Bond, perhaps we should split this off into a separate thread?

Simon

Just a quick reply - probably not worth splitting. My adjustment is crude...I obvserved the position of the sun vs. time before/after sunset, and created a couple simple rules based on that. I'll have to adjust it as the seasons change...

1 Like

Hi @dman2306,

Looks like Bond are actually working on what they are referring to as a Preset command, which is actually available now, they are just finalising some of the testing before advertising it more widely. Any chance of getting this included in the driver for HE? Happy to dig around in the code myself...

Thanks,
Simon

Someone just submitted a pull request today that adds this if you want to give it a shot. I haven’t had a chance yet to review and merge but if you’re interested, give it a try GitHub - scelfo/hubitat-bond: BOND Home Integration for Hubitat

2 Likes

Thanks, I'll take a look and let you know, not sure when I'll get to it, hopefully sometime this week.

Excellent, works perfectly. I updated the app and driver code on my HE hub from the link, used the SetPosition command with a value of 50 to trigger the "My" position.

For anyone wanting to set the My Position, here's a short video explaining it, but basically get the shade to the position you want, hold the My button to store the position, indicated by a jog of the shade, and your all set. Worked straight away through the Bond app and through these HE app / drivers.

Simon

1 Like

So I started this thread... and then never actually got a Bond Hub. But last night, my wife asked me "When will I be able to turn the living room light off with Google?" Was pretty surprised because she normally says she hates voice commands...

Anyway, so now I'm thinking about getting a Bond Hub for real. How has everyone's experience with them been? We would still be using the remote that came with the fans most of the time and the Bond would just be an additional control method. Anyone else use it in that way?

I think you’ll have a bad experience that way because the bond hub and therefore hubitat will constantly be wrong about the state of the device if you continue to use the remotes.

If you're already invested in Z-wave devices, I would suggest going with Inovelli's Fan+Light Combo switch. I saw a new one that came out with similar functionality but I can't remember who made it.

I ended up replacing my Bond Hub with one. I also have 2 fans with Bond embedded as well - only because the Inovelli announcement was just made and I didn't see if before purchasing.

1 Like

Got one and have 2 fans controlled with it so far. I have another fan to put up that I'll add to the hub once it's installed. It's working great. Like dman2306 said they will be out of sync if you keep using the remotes but that's not a problem for me. I just put the remotes away and control the fans via Alexa or dashboard.

If you're household uses Picos, they make GREAT fan controllers using ABC button controller app and this integration.

Top button on Pico is Fan on/off toggle, bottom button is light on/off toggle. Middle three buttons Low/Med/High fan speed (I only have 3-speed fans :slight_smile: ).

Then you can use Hold/Release events on the Picos to enable dimming of the fan light, or you could use that for additional fan speed selections.

I've hidden all our original remotes and substitued Picos and the family likes them much better than the original remotes.

I had Bond long before I had Hubitat. If I were starting from scratch today, then I would definitely look at something that spoke natively and locally to the Hub. Since I don't automate any of the ceiling fan lights, the out-of-sync issue has really been limited to the novelty of seeing my dashboard disagree with the observed state.

Hi @dman2306 -

Quick feedback item re: your Bond Home Integration package.

I recently re-installed the package using the Hubitat Package Manager as part of re-working my groups, scenes, rules, etc.

Upon setup and initialization of the package, it correctly recognized the fans and settings associated w/ my hub including creating the Bond Timer Fan Light child EXCEPT for getting the Current States for the child. IE The fan light already on or off.

Is there anyway to query/refresh for the correct states as part of your setup?

If not, it could also be handled by notating in the docs that the fans should be manually set to a certain state before your setup so that you could default the Current State. IE The fan is off, left in the forward direction and light is off, etc.

Peter

In the Device screen for fan, there are Fix Power & Fix Speed that mirror that same ability in the Bond app. Same is available for light. They change the state in HE without sending a command.

1 Like

That will work but it shouldn't be necessary. The app polls the hub at the configured frequency so it should read the current value.

Just got my bond pro today so looking forward to making sure everything works properly with it. Unfortunately my poe switch is currently full so I gotta upgrade first!

3 Likes

Congrats!

I've rewritten your sentence below, correcting a signifcant grammatical mistake.

"Luckily, my poe switch is currently full so I gotta upgrade first!"

Please pay attention in class to avoid mistakes like this.

:wink: