Sunset lights dimmer question

Hi, so i need a light to turn on 10min after sunset at its 20% brightness and and for the next 2 hours increase up to80% and at 11pm or after setting a mood low brightness to 1%. when its on 1% if sensor detects movement to increase brightness for 2 minutes and go back to 1% if no more motion is detected, and then turn off at sunrise... am i asking to much?

Where can i find a tutorial to learn this? i am really breaking up my head trying to understand it

That’s an interesting use case! Totally doable, but the best approach would be to split it into 4 rules. Some of this could be done through simple lightning, but here is an option for each of these rules:

Note: There is a risk that Rule 1 will interact with Rule 2 if the sunset + 10 minutes is after 20:50 (8:50pm)... Would require further investigation...

Rule 1: Turn on 10 minutes after sunset at 20% and increase to 80% in the following 2 hours.

Rule 2: At 23:00 (11pm), dim the light to 1%

Rule 3: After 11pm or when brightness is 1%, increase brightness when there is motion, go back to 1% 2 minutes after motion stops.

Rule 4: Turn off the light at sunrise.

I’ll be curious to know how it goes!

Great! thanks alot! looks interesting. and this really opened me a better perspective on how to work with hubitat since i am kinda new and moving from alexa routines now to change everything to this great hub...

ill let you know in a couple hours how it worked...

i just dont know why on the dimmer level mine is 96,20 and yours is 100...

1 Like

great information. i also replied below your message...

The reason you are seeing 96, 20 is that you have 2 lights selected (Patio Light and Entrance Light). It is showing the level of both - Patio Light is at 96% and Entrance Light is at 20%.

It takes a bit of time to get the hang of how Rule Machine works, but it gets easier to use the more it is used...

yes that was it!

for some reason it keep turning on with the motion sensor. shouldnt before the THEN be TRUE?

In order for the rule to run, all conditions should be [T] and the overall condition should then be [TRUE]. If any of the conditions shows [F], then the overall condition should show [FALSE] and not run.

i get it, i didnt know that will change according in this case the time of the day, so it will be changing from true to false. I setup again that third rule and see how it goes since i made a change that could have afect the rule. ill keep you posted. thanks for this great help

1 Like

hey again. i test it last night and for some reason the like linked doesnt turn off at sunrise. the other ones do turn off except that one... do you know if something might be interfering?

There could be a few causes for this... Can you provide the make and model of the problematic light (or switch?)?

Are you able to turn it on and off from the device page or the dashboard? When you do this, does it report its status (ie.: if your turn it on, does it report as on and vice-versa)?

the light bulbs are SYLVANIA SMART, they connect through zigbee. i am able to turn it off/on from the dashboard but as soon as the motion sensor detects motion in goes back on. it says also false and it still doing it.

This gives me the impression that you may have another rule that is making changes to the bulb... If you go to the bulb driver, at the bottom you will see a list of apps that are using it. Clicking on those links will open up the apps in question and let you see if they are the ones turning them on...

no it only shows the rules we added.

i did change something and remove the condition OR saying that if its at 1 on dimmer.... and ill see if in the morning they turn off...

I notice you have Alexa in the list - any chance that there is a routine that is turning it on?

nope non on there.

i removed the OR and it did turned off and worked correctly during the time running the different rules...

1 Like