Sunrise still not working?

I have a rule to turn off some lights and disable some rules at sunrise. I have a similar rule to enable some rules at sunset.

The sunset rule works fine. The sunrise rule failed 2 days in a row. The rules are structured identically. I'm running 2.1.4.121. I see a note about "before sunrise" triggers having been fixed. Am I the only one having problems AT sunrise? Can I expect this to work if I change it to "sunrise - 1 minute"?

On a related note: if I have a rule trigger @11:00:00 (and other triggers), can I safely test "if time == 11:00:00" in the rule? Or is there some chance that by the time the test happens the time might be 11:00:01? Right now I have a "if time is between 10:59 and 11:01" just to be safe, but wonder if this is necessary.

Anyway, for completeness, here is a screenshot of my sunrise rule that is not firing (nothing for it shows up in the logs):

Look at your app Status page for that rule. Under subscriptions see if there is one for Sunrise.

Indeed -- you are correct. There are no subscriptions. There is one for sunset, but none for sunrise. In the "events" page it shows it ran daily until about 2 days ago.

So, how did this happen? How do I fix it? And how do I make sure it doesn't happen again? (I have no idea what a "subscription" is...)

Try opening the rule, and hitting Done. Then check the app Status page. See if it's fixed. If so, you should be good to go. Don't really know how this would happen.

Didn't help. It was a simple rule, so I just deleted it and recreated it. Looks OK now -- guess I'll know in the morning.

Edit the next day: yes, it seems to be working fine now. Weird.

Count me as #2. I have a rule that changes modes at sunset and sunrise. This rule has been in place for a few weeks now. I show subscriptions for both. This morning the mode didnā€™t change at sunrise and it didnā€™t at sunset either. Iā€™ll post the rule and the logs tomorrow morning.

See if replacing the rule fixes it. I don't know what could be causing this.

I have one light that's not turning off and sunrise+60. There is also a subscription for it. Crazy thing is that I have another rule for my lightify strips to turn off at the same time and it's flawless. I have no problem recreating the rule, but is there anything you might want before I do so @bravenel?

[EDIT] Never mind. In going through my rule, I found a missing condition.

I'm replacing the rule now. Here's the old one:

Yesterday afternoon I did open the rule and hit Done. Last night and this morning, things seem to have run okay with THIS rule. Last night I was out and all the internal lights should have turned off in favor of the night lights. They didn't. Here's one of the three rules I use for my indoor lights and the log files.

The variable illumination_bed_off is driven by another rule and is set to on only when the LUX is below 20 (I use this for overcast days). The variable day_mode_lights is set to on between 9:00 AM and Sunset.

36%20AM

As shown below in the log files, the lights stayed on after 10:30 (the counter lights are programed to turn off for 5 seconds to reset them so that behavior is normal):

Last example. This rule changes the front porch light from green (indicating it's okay to leave) to either white (after sunset) or off during the day. Yesterday when I left, it turned to white instead of off:

Here's the kicker. This only happened yesterday. I updated my hub on the 27th:

It seems to be related to Sunrise but I can't find a solid connection. Are variables logged? Maybe I could go back and see if the variables connected to Sunrise fired or not?

This is way more complexity than can be diagnosed remotely.

You're going to have to have all app logging on, and just see what it's doing.

Yeah. I was just trying to illustrate the possible connection to sunrise. I'll set the logging and see what we see.

As one gets older, as I am, the title "Sunrise still not working?" is one of those things you hope is still a ways off. I do hope Sunrise gets fixed as I still have things I want to do. :wink:

1 Like

I've tested the alarm Alarm - Away Arm Via Exit rule and the front porch light is acting as it should. Not sure why.

I'm also having issues with this. I opened and clicked done on the rules last night and then opened the rules and clicked run actions. The rules worked last night and this morning some of the rules did not shut the lights off.

I took my Misc - Mode Setting & Lights and broke it down into 3 separate rules for easier logging. So far everything is working perfectly. I still have no idea what happened on Friday & Saturday.

It certainly shouldnā€™t matter but is the rule really named sunrise?I tend to not name things that might be ā€œreservedā€ words. It probably doesnā€™t matter but if you canā€™t figure anything else out start looking for weird things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.