Suggestion for bathroom automation

Hi all:

I just replaced the switched in the hall bathroom with a Lutron Dimmer (for the lights over the vanity) and a Lutron switch on the exhaust fan. I have a Nyce motion/humidity sensor about center in the ceiling. This bathroom has two primary uses: guest usage and bathing the grandchildren.

What are you all doing for automation rules for a case like this?

Thanks!

Ive got my bathroom fan set up so it fades in nicely as the humidity in the bathroom increase. :slight_smile: you could do the same idea, just with on/off.

Essentially, I subtract Bathroom Humidity - House Humidity and above 20% difference kicks on the fan. A physical switch press dismisses this for the rest of the day, and increases the fan’s auto-off threshold.

I use motion lighting and auto-off in the bathroom for lights. Getting the tub motion sensor positioned right was a bit of a challenge but it’s finally reliable.

Awesome. Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to do the difference on the humidity. That's a great idea!

1 Like

Your question led me to re-think how a switch being physically turned on or off is handled.

I think I'll be changing it to --- if the switch is turned on physically, increase the auto-off timer to an hour (or something longer than 10min as it normally is if no motion is detected) until it is physically turned off, or the hour has passed. Maybe this line of thinking is helpful for your use-case, too :slight_smile:

Is there a way to define a rule if a light switch is turned on physically over virtual motion ????

Yes.

There’s a trigger option for Physical Switch and Physical Dimmer In Rule Machine :slight_smile:

I was excited about this but I picked one of my Lutron switches and it’s either on, off, or change only.

I have a similar setup as you with one switch as the vanity and one switch as the fan. I have an aeotec 6 multi sensor in the middle of the room to capture motion when someone is in the shower so the lights don’t go out while someone is in the tub / shower as well as humidity. I also have an iris v2 motion sensor in the corner above the door facing into the room but not detecting motion in the hall as someone walks by would trigger the lights. Someone has to walk into the room to trigger the motion to activate the lights over the vanity. I’ll have to get my rule later as I’m not home at the moment.

I lied... this is a motion lighting rule. Humidity is done in a different app.

We experimented here with motion detectors in one bathroom. The experience for everyone else was not positive; just for starters, it took some tricky rulemongering to avoid people reaching for the entry switch just as the motion detector turned the light on, resulting in turning the light right back off.

I also discovered that I sit there reading (motionless) too long. :rofl:

...so, the light's now on its own, but I've still got a Zigbee button (labelled "PUSH FOR FAN") hooked to a Zigbee relay, running this rule:

Trigger:
~ Bathroom fan button button 1 pushed

Actions:
IF (Private Boolean is false(T) [TRUE]) THEN
Set Private Boolean True
On: ~ Bathroom fan relay
Delay 0:15:00 (cancelable)
Set Private Boolean False
Off: ~ Bathroom fan relay
ELSE
Cancel Delayed Actions
Set Private Boolean False
Off: ~ Bathroom fan relay
END-IF

(Private boolean used because the status coming back from the relay was not reliable.)