Suddenly Inconsistent

zigbee group messaging...

In order for this to work, the short zigbee address is required...
The group app knows which devices from the selected group members are zigbee...
Each group instance creates a unique group id.
When the app is saved the zigbee devices that were unselected have that group deleted, new and existing devices have the group set.
When the group receives a command the zigbee group version of the command is sent, all other devices execute the given schema command (on/off/setlevel whatevs...)

So, if the same zigbee device is included within multiple groups that are then nested, the same command will be broadcast multiple times...

That’s what I was hinting at. He’s creating a broadcast storm. And since bulbs are generally regarded as lousy repeaters my money in on this.

2 Likes

Let me try to pull this together in one place.

@waynespringer79 @bravenel @mike.maxwell have been chatting this up in my general complaint thread. There is a suggestion to look for "Limit Exceeded Exception, Event Queue is Full" logs

@srwhite seems convinced my bulbs are acting as repeaters although everything I read says they dont. But @mike.maxwell seems to think recursive broadcasting through subgroups is a problem. I suppose this is the same-ish as the LEEEQF problem?

So first things first. Since it has been well over 48 hours for the mesh to heal, when I get home I'll see if things work. I don't expect them too.

Then I'll look for "Limit Exceeded Exception, Event Queue is Full" and if I see them we can start to address that.

If I don't then I am going to start to rebuild my groups (with nesting) but without Group Messaging.

If that doesn't work I'll try not nesting groups.

Am I missing anything?

I assume by "patching" you mean a new platform update? As a general rule, we aren't "patching" things. And also, as a general rule, updates don't break things. That's not to say that from time to time a bug can't be introduced, but this is the exception, not the rule. There is a common phenomenon that some users tend to blame an update for breaking things that have nothing to do with the update. It's usually pretty easy to tell, just roll back to the prior build. If something is broken in a new build, and not in a prior build after a roll back, we will certainly dig into the cause post haste. I haven't seen anywhere that you rolled back to confirm that your problems stem from the platform update. That would be super useful information, as opposed to unsupported presumptions that the cause of your problems is an update that didn't touch the system elements that you have issues with.

It seems to me that Limit Exceeds Exception is a total red herring for your described problems.

2 Likes

I don't think the diagnosis is unwarranted in this case. As I've said. I added 2 bulbs to the system (of a type I'd used before.) Moved 2 bulbs a trivial distance. And applied a platform update.

It's not a crazy assumption to make, especially after my elsewhere mentioned experience with HE putting into production a pretty buggy subpar dashboard.

Another common phenomenon is that developers think all issues are first PEBAC and hardly every on their side.

Anyway, I'll look into rolling it back and applying my backup configuration files. Lets see what happens =)

What's wrong with the dashboards? I've been using 10 different Dashboards for over 10 months now and haven't had a single issue with any of them aside from still not having battery % displayed on the Lock tile after repeated requests.

2 Likes

Except it's not a diagnosis at all. Roll back to 2.1.8 and see if everything works that doesn't now work. That would be a diagnosis. If that is the case, as I said, we would dive in to find out what could have caused that.

What bugs in Dashboard are you referring to? I didn't see where you had reported any, or referred to any reported bugs. There are a couple of recently reported bugs in Dashboard that we're looking at, but there are thousands upon thousands of dashboards running with no reported problems.

If you look into the history of Hubitat, you will find that we are quick to admit when there are problems or bugs, and generally quick to fix them. We welcome genuine bug reports.

11 Likes

Listen,

I don't enjoy getting caught up in the nuances of word choice patching/updating or how specifically you judge my diagnostic effort.

I have not outlined the dashboard problems explicitly yet, and it feels more and more like a thankless task. Feel free to look through the Underwhelmed thread though if you want a general sense of my problems and some that other people express.

I am not sure how to look into the HE other then these forums. Is there a github style issues? I can look at my history and it does not feel great to me.

I just rolled back, it fixed my issues a lot of witch are the same as you and several others described.

Now when i have time i will do more digging as to why i had issues and how to trouble shoot and narrow down the culprit.

Taking this down to the very basics, you have no repeaters other than the Nue switches. Assuming those are the Zigbee versions. I have no information on how well those repeat, or if they do at all. So let’s go on the assumption that they don’t repeat. That would mean you have no repeaters on your network at all. That’s a problem.

6 Likes