Sub watt power reporting?

Is it possible to get power reporting from a smart outlet at sub-watt levels? I have two older wall plug style outlets (an Aeon Zwave and a Securifi Peanut zigbee), and 1 watt seems to be the lowest threshold for power reporting, and they seem to report only integer watts.

I used to use one of these with homeseer to charge my phone at night (I don't remember which one). It reported in milliwatt resolution (don't know about accuracy!) I had it set to automatically shut off at night when the current drain dropped below something like 0.8 watts to prevent overcharging my phone. It worked very well, and I'd like to do the same with Hubitat.

My Peanuts report from 0.1-1000W. What driver are you using for your Peanuts, and is their firmware updated to support power reporting?

Also, I thought cell-phones had circuitry to protect against over-charging. Is that not the case?

What phone do you have? Phone charge circuits don't work like that. They cannot be overcharged. It would be unsafe to do so and could result in bulging batteries, leaking, explosion, etc. Manufacturers have already built in these safety features for you.

I'm using the generic zigbee outlet driver -- is there a better one? My generic zwave outlet is similar.

A phone can't be "overcharged" in terms of really harming the battery I suppose, but I think the battery will in general last longer if it is not charged to 100% regularly nor discharged to 0. The charge current seems to drop as the battery gets near 100%, so I was only charging to 90-93% or so. I'd rather not have to replace my phone just because the non-replacable battery lost capacity. It really did seem to help.

1 Like

I would guess the accuracy of the current measurement is not enough to warrant lots of decimal places precision. I would suspect the numbers you are getting from the peanut driver are the result of a division, and should really be rounded off for human consumption.

It worked well enough for my use case with homeseer. The hardware clearly is capable of reporting to sub-watt levels, accuracy aside. And when the total power draw is < 2w, I would think it could manage 0.1w accuracy. In any case, the hardware supports it, so why can't I see it anywhere?

@aaiyar -- where did that screen shot come from? I've never seen a page like that, at least not for this device (if ever).

under Edit Device, Events

I use this driver:

And it is from the Events page as indicated by @jon1

Using known power draws and a kill-a-watt I have confirmed they are accurate to 1/10th of a watt.

Ah, I didn't recognize it as I've only ever seen power/switch there and integer values.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

@aaiyar -- So, noobie question: I've downloaded a few drivers/apps from GitHub, and always had issues with simply "import"ing the code into the apps/driver editor. The URLs I can find on GitHub are all like this:

https://github.com/jimcghee/Hubitat-PeanutPlug/raw/master/PeanutPlug.groovy

but they don't import anything. In some cases I've found a URL embedded in the code that looks more like:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/...

and that works.

But I usually just end up cutting and pasting the source. Is there some nice way of reliably finding the right URL to download from? I would have expected the "raw" button on the GitHub page to give me what I need, but that URL imports nothing.

BTW -- that peanut driver looks to be working just fine. I'm getting power to 4 digits now. My phone thanks you...

Just click on the Raw tab and use that URL to import ....

That has never worked for me.

Edit: what I've tried is to right click on the "raw" tab and "copy link", then paste that into the import dialog. I get nothing.

Edit -- OK, I see. If I ACTUALLY CLICK the link, it sends me to a URL that is in fact NOT the same as the URL I get when I "copy link". I don't know why they'd do that, but I guess now I know how to deal with it.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.