Stupid Question of the Day ST code vs HE code

I'm new to HE, but I'm fairly savvy to home automation and devices. I'm trying to go to the next level by looking "behind the curtain" with custom apps and codes, so this is probably a really stupid question: I keep encountering tutorials and articles about users utilizing codes written for Smartthings in their HE platform. Since HE and ST are clearly two different platforms, aren't there some compatibility issues with using the same code in the different platforms? An example is the MyQ Lite custom app. The forum article talks about using an application from ST. Are there code edits that experienced users just basically know must be changed in the code after importing ST code into HE, or is the code a universal language that both ST and HE understands which requires no edits? Any clarification or opinions are appreciated.

Roughly speaking, groovy on ST and groovy here on Hubitat are the same. There are specific differences and those are detailed in a Thread about porting apps. For 'universal apps' they have extra code to detect the platform, then where there are differences, both sets of code are included, with an IF test on which platform surrounding the differences.

2 Likes

You can have a look here for some how-to directions.

1 Like