Struggling with a zooz zen27

I jus replaced my ge dimmable switch with a zooz zen27. My ge switch was old and didn't work well with the LEDs I had. The zen27 works well with my LEDs but I can't control it from hubitat. The zen27 is named cabana bar.

It included fine and worked well for a while. When I removed the ge switches, forced remove, the zen27 stopped working although that could be coincidental.

On the zwave details page it says that the zen27 failed. Repair or refresh buttons for the zen27 on the zwave details page does nothing. Reboot and power cycle of both switch and hub does nothing.

I moved a ge outdoors power outlet (S2) next to the zooz dimmer and that device works well before and after reboot. I just can't believe the issue is lack of zwave signal.

I also added a zen22 switch in a different location. It works flawless.

I have two phantom devices from my old ge switches that I can't get rid of, despite pushing remove.

Any ideas what to do? I have two more zen27 dimmers I want to add that I'm holding off on adding until I figured this out.

A couple of screenshots, including one of the log when I try to use the dimmer.

to

shut down hub, pull out hub power cord, wait 1 minute, then plug in hub & restart. Then try to remove the ghosts

1 Like

I did shutdown, powered off for a minute (pulled the power cord). I click on remove for these devices but they won't go away. I guess I'll sleep on it and see what I can figure out tomorrow. Any ideas?

The buttons on that page perhaps aren't what you're imagining...

They kick off a process in the hub that takes a few moments to 20 mins depending on the device.

All of those functions are part of the microcode (firmware) that resides out on what we usually call 'the Zwave Radio'. If you have a USB ZWave stick and use PC Controller, you're familiar with what's going on... The REMOVE for example is a two step process: 1) test the device for "is Failed" -- if not, it's done, does nothing. For many, the first check uses cached info and will indicate the device is alive. This results in "click, does nothing" stories. Repeated attempts will eventually cause the timeouts to align and the device will fall into the "is Failed" queue on the chip/radio. THEN when the test runs, it finds it really is failed and will proceed to... 2) where the device is removed from the Radio's DB. The success is relayed back to the Hub, which will remove the Hub's DB entry.

And that's just ONE line powered example. For Battery devices, there's a large delay just to wait for the device to wake. The hub's not going to go to la la land for one battery cycle, so the screen is re-displayed with yet another "click, does nothing" story. :slight_smile: The radio knows to wait and retry which is why we all wake up to all new Zwave Details displays each day :smiley:

Obviously there's an element of sorcery involved.. no one wants real live devices to just be canceled/removed trivially... there is a mechanism for that called Exclude, but this process is NOT for those devices. If you can get ANY communications between your device and hub/controller, do an Exclude.. don't try these last resort tools.

Maybe we're finding out why the tools are usually so well hidden / disguised. I specifically remember them hiding in SmartThings IDE and buried three menu's down on Staples Connect.

1 Like

I'm familiar with asynchronous event driven programming. So it's waiting for GC?
Any way to validate that it actually is in a pending gc state? Or do I just wait a few hours and hope for the best?

So I waited over night. No difference, these devices are still there. My zen27 is still not working, on the zwave details page it says "not responding".

I tried another switch in my network, it worked fine although it took a few seconds from click until it turned on. No zwave busy or anything like that in the log. I get messages about batteries, temp and motion in the log so I assume the system is mostly working, except my zen27. The ge outdoors switch right next to the dimmer is working fine.

What next do you suggest I try next?