Strips

I keep seeing these light strips....what are folks using these for? Sengled has a nice one that is reasonably price. I was thinking about the outside (the outdoor model) as you come up the stairs to my front door.

Under cabinets, in alcoves, along the underside of bed, light up closets

5 Likes

This. Work great if you get up at night for any reason. I use the SleepIQ integration so it comes on when I get out of bed.

2 Likes

Light towers, above cabinets, back lighting, decorative outdoor lighting, status lighting, "is it OK to bother mommy or daddy while they are working" lighting... So many uses for RGB light strips, even more with RGBW ones.

1 Like

I use them for mood lighting in various areas. Both baths are set up like this, and I use it for night light as well as ambient light at various times of the day The kitchen has a similar setup on top of the cabinets shining upwards, mostly for mood/ambient light, but I was thinking of adding another strip somewhere in there to use for alarms, alerts, and so on.

4 Likes

@neonturbo: Your pictures give some inspiration! Too bad true UV LEDs are so expensive... could put a couple of those in the bathroom and have it sanitize when nobody is in there.

Now THIS i really like....

I'm interested in how you're doing this.

1. Are you using the leds that are already on the Sleep Number bed (and if so, how)?
  2. What do you have your refresh rate set to on the SleepIQ integration to make this actually work in a reasonable amount of time (and does it seem to be killing the HE with queries)?

No, I'm using generic strip LEDs with a Gledopto zigbee controller. I don't like the built-in light.

I'm running it on the SmartThings cloud (integrated via HubConnect). I think it polls every 30 seconds.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. As much as I like this idea, I absolutely refuse to hook ST back up... :grinning:

I really wish that there was a way to tap into the controls on the Sleep Number bed!

You don't have to. I don't have my ST hub hooked up.

1 Like