Strange Inovelli Dimmer Behavior

I accidently mashed some buttons on one of my Inovelli dimmers tonight and it is now exhibiting some really strange behavior.

Interacting with the switch manually works, but it doesn't report changes back to the hub anymore. Attempting to issue an on/off or setLevel via zwave, the switch doesn't respond and produces the following error that I have never seen before. Other than accidently hitting the dimmer, I haven't changed any parameters. The switch does appear to respond to refresh commands and configure commands.

I'm kind of at a loss here, I've tried air gapping, shutting down/restarting the hub, saving the parameters, issuing a configure to the device, and flipping some parameters, all without any luck.

Short of factory resetting the device I'm not sure what else to do or how I managed to get the switch into this state.

For Inovelli, the air gap does not reset (disconnect power) from the logic. You would need to hit the circuit breaker to actually reset the internal electronics. The air gap is relegated to an attached "bulb" safety feature. There was a time when screwing in a bulb could literally cause them to implode due to high in-rush current. The air gap disconnects power from the Load so that even if a Rule happened to turn on the load, there's no power.

Good to know, I'm a couple rev's behind on the firmware, so I'm giving it an update now in case I hit some sort of strange bug. Will have to give the breaker a flip after it's done in the event the firmware update does nothing.

I'd imagine that the successful update of firmware would cause the switch to reboot the electronics to that new version. That would be what the power cycle would be attempting.

This isn't my experience, at least with their current-generation (gen 2, or Red and Black Series) products. :thinking:

2 Likes

Well no change with firmware update or flipping the breaker. This is very odd.

Does that “ApplicationRejectedRequest” mean anything to anyone?

Mine either. Black and Red dimmers are fully dead when the airgap is pulled here.

1 Like

Well I can’t explain what happened, but a factory reset fixed the issue.

2 Likes

Where are you getting that info? All my Inovelli switches disconnect power from the internal logic when the airgap is pulled. Its true that it doesn't' do a "factory reset" (where everything gets reset back to factory default settings) but it does reboot/reset the logic with the current user settings. For the switch logic, its no different than flipping the breaker.

I'm getting it from Memory...

I had a PM conversation with someone that started with this question about what the air gap does. I distinctly remember me giving my opinion that using the Circuit Breaker to power cycle the internal cpu was an unwise choice, given the Air Gap switch was right there. The conversation ended and it never occurred to me that my opinion might have changed minds.