Strange Aeotec Smart Switch Gen 6 connection method

I just wanted to share my strange experience in connecting Aeotec smart switch gen 6 to HE.

Hardware: Rev C-5
Software version: 2.2.1.113
Z-wave version: Australia

I've configured HE so that the secured join only available to locks/garage doors only; but for some reason, I managed to join the Aeotec in a secure mode manner, even though at the end it connects in the non-secured way (which is fine for me).

I got 4 x second-hand AEOTEC and two of them seem to be very hard to connect to HE.
I have tried so many times to connect them (tried factory reset for more than 10 times as well as exclusion processes).

The one that works for me to one of them:

1. Move HE and AEOTEC closer (+/- 1.5m, not because of COVID, but because that's the closest spare power plug next to the hub).
  2. Reset AEOTEC to factory default (hold for 20s until green lights)
  3. Start z-wave exclusion in HE
  4. on AEOTEC:
    4.1. Press Action once and wait until it shows red blinks and back to rainbow colour
    4.2. Press Action twice and wait until it shows red blinks and goes to the rainbow colour
  5. HE will then shows "exclusion unknown device completed" (something like that)
  6. Start z-wave inclusion in HE
    6.1. Press action once (green light blinks) and wait until it shows red blinks and goes back to rainbow colour
    6.2.Press action twice (blue light blinks) and wait until it is connected

When I checked the device, it is connected through non-secured method:

If I knew connect z-wave plus device could take this long, I would just choose zigbee, plus it's cheaper...unless I'm just unlucky...

Now move on to the second AEOTEC...I hope it connects this time...sigh

I have two of the aeotec 6 multi sensors. Z-wave plus in general is not difficult to pair, but these get a bit confusing for whatever reason. If your aeotec is not paired, pressing the action button once makes it flash green rapidly until it is paired. It's always best to long press these to factory reset them, and exclude them, but they will be a bear to pair if you hold the button too long to include them. One tap. That's it. Depending on the strength of your mesh, you may need to pair these close to your hub. These will repeat if you pair them with power and leave them powered in your environment. They make very good repeaters. If you pair them powered and then put them on batteries, you'll burn though batteries like cheereos in church on a Sunday. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Forgot to add, make sure you're doing a repair after you're done messing with your mesh.
:grin:

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, it flashes green for about 10sec and shows red afterwards, been trying this a couple of times already.

Looks like broken devices (as per your other suggestion)

yep it flashes green rapidly, then, I believe when it tries to initialize it might change colors then begin flashing rapidly again in different colors, red, green, blue, yellow and then it's added. If this isn't happening, then, yes, I'd return or exchange them. All of the aeotecs have this sequence when pairing. Might not be a bad idea to reach out to their support line. Perhaps we're missing something? Might save you some time in shipping right now if it can be fixed with a phone call.

But you don't hold it to pair it and wait until the color sequence .. you start your hub and quick press it once. Do NOT hold the button.

Yup, that's what I've been doing (click it once and release it) with the other 2 which are working.

Return it