Stopping the dim down function

Evening,

I'm currently doing this on a rule>

Fade Bedroom lamp down to 25 over 15 minutes with 10.0 seconds interval

However if i decide to then turn the lamp off it randomly turns back on! Any ideas how to stop this doing that? Thanks

There is a stop dimmer action in the control of a dimmer or bulb.

The "Fade" action in Rule Machine schedules a series of "Set Level" commands to the bulb. A "Set Level" will, by default, also turn a bulb on if it's off, so what you're seeing is an expected consequence of that. Note that this action in RM is different from the "Start Level Change" (and "Stop...") commands you see on the device page, which some devices also support, which will ramp up or down until they either reach all the way or the "Stop Level Change" command is sent. That won't help you here since it's not how the action was started (and these are also intended to happen really fast, normally within a few seconds--like ramping up/down from a dimmer on a wall).

What will help, based on your description, is calling "Cancel Rule Timers" on this rule from any rule--perhaps one that triggers when the bulb in question turns off. This action, as you'll see in in the RM UI, affects more than just the "Fade..." action, but if you don't have anything else going on that you care to keep, it should do the trick.

An alternative you can try: the "Set Level" command takes a fade time in seconds. A 15-minute time might be a bit long but isn't really out of spec for at least most Z-Wave devices I know about (not sure what your actual device is), but you might want to test it regardless. You can try this directly on the device page to test; in Rule Machine, the "Set Dimmer Level" action will let you specify a fade time. An "off" (and probably "on" or another "set level") command should stop this fade without further considerations since it's all handled at the device level. The "Fade..." thing is RM-specific and an app-based workaround that you might want if you want longer times, smaller/bigger steps, or other customizations.

1 Like

ah ok, so maybe another rule to check when the light goes off and cancel actions?

That should work!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.