Steps necesary to migrate back to c7 from c8

can anyone outline the steps necessary to migrate back to the c7 from c8..

i will create virtual devices for each of my zigbee devices and then migrate back and rejoin the zigbee devices.. hopefully i can swap them back to get all outmatiions..

thanks.

I believe if you do a cloud backup on the C8, then restore to C7, and then re-join the zigbee devices to the C7 they should drop into the existing device entries. Zwave would carry over. I think there was an whole thread about this. I don't think you will need any virtual devices as placeholders.

EDIT: Actually according to this it sounds like maybe you would not even have to join the ZigBee devices again? Unless they are talking about C8 to another C8 ?

2 Likes

i think since i reset both radios in the c7 i will have to rejoin them and probably redo my automations.. house will soon be empty and i canot have a system where device drop off and cannot be rejoined.

Do you have Hub Protect? A cloud backup from the C8 should restore on the C7 and will carry the zwave devices over along with the zwave node data for the radio. Nothing further would be needed, devices would keep working on restored hub. If you are just doing a local backup you would need to re-join every zwave device and then use swap apps to move automations from old device entry to new device entry.

Zigbee device entries will also get carried on the backup (local or cloud). The Zigbee radio data will not. But because the Zigbee devices entries link to an identifier of the device and not a generic Node ID like Zwave does, when you pair the device back to the hub it will match it up to the existing device entry from the backup restore. Should not need to change anything.

I have never done this myself but this is my understanding from what I have read. This was the procedure to migrate from a C5 to a C7, or also migrating from a C4 to a C8 since the radio info did not carry over from a C4 or C5 with a dongle.

1 Like

What @jtp10181 said should work. I've tested this with Z-Wave, and that's the same as migrating to any hub with internal radios, which many have done in various ways since the introduction of the service. There should be no issues there.

I happened to not have Zigbee on the test hub, but it wouldn't have mattered much. You'll most likely have to re-pair every Zigbee device, though there isna chance some sensors (non-acuators) might be OK if the old hub is the same one that was migrated from. There's no harm in re-pairing regardless. You do not need to swap anything out with a virtual device; the hub will match the devices back up using their IEEE address, which is factory-set, unique to that device, and part of even the regular hub database you'll find in local (or cloud) backups.

1 Like

ok task for this weekend...

@kahn-hubitat, did you end up doing this (move some/all from C8 back to a C7)?

If so, any tips/tricks/lessons-learned to share?

I'm thinking of moving (at least) my zigbee devices back to C7, and wondering if I should just try the easiest path (just rejoin devices to existing backup), or go nuclear by creating virtual device swaps for all zigbee devices and doing full device removals/resets to ensure cleanest slate possible.

I'm not looking forward to either option, but the C8's dropping-device zigbee situation is grating on the household's nerves and patience is running out.

No mine.is mostly working except difficulty pairing various devices. But my other house on a c7 i am not upgrading at this time even though i already have the c8 for it.

1 Like