Status of Australian Alexa skill?

It’s been nearly 2 months since the call for beta testers for the Australian Alexa skill. Is it still being worked on or is it stuck waiting to be approved?

Any updates on the Australian Alexa skill?

The lack of the Australian Alexa skill is holding me back from finishing my Hubitat setup.

Or if it’s going to take a while are you still accepting people for the beta?

The reply I got via private message is that they are having a hard time finding anyone to test it. I guess it’s a chicken and the egg situation.

I’m not really sure what needs to be tested, ie what is different in the AU version. But given that the market is obviously tiny I don’t know why they don’t just release it - how many people will be affected by it not working fully?!

Yep, I got the same message and said I'd be happy to test it. Just waiting for the beta invite email to enable the skill.

But fair point, they should just roll it out.

I also realized I switched all my amazon gear from US to AU after starting to setup Hubitat. So it confused the hell out of me for a bit.

Looking to purchase this hub soon, any further news on availability?
otherwise, will have to keep my echo on the US store

what's the advantage of making it on the AU store?

Amazon region-lock each skill. So by default if you sign up at amazon.com.au then you get an AU Amazon account, and can only select from the Alexa skills that are presented to you. Hence unless we switch to a US account (and therefore lose access to AU specific skills provided by Australian companies) you can’t get the Hubitat skill. At all.

exactly @pjam73
1 downside to using the US store, is for adult verification. Some skills are kid orientated and need adult verification in the form of a credit card. The verification doesn't work with AU CC's as i have since found out.

I've been beta testing the Australian Amazon Skill and unfortunately its been a slow process. We still haven't got it working.

I was away quite a bit in January, and I tend to be most available on weekends and in a different timezone to the engineer troubleshooting with me. Our thread is now up to 24 messages, and its been radio silence for a week and a bit.

We can't get the skill to authenticate (ends up failing with an OAuth error towards the end). At fist I thought it was to do with my US converted to AU Amazon account, so I created a brand new AU account. But both accounts are not working.

FYI, I'd like to keep my house in AU so I can access other AU specific skills.

If there is anyway we can speed this up with other beta testers and all in support. Posting this on the public forum to hope we can get a bit more priority to this!

Could we get some priority to getting this fixed from the Hubitat side?

We've also seemed to hit a dead end with all of my testing, so if someone else wants to volunteer that might also help speed things up.

Sorry man, I let Google into my house and I've locked Alexa out. :slight_smile:

No problem.

I was running a US Amazon house, switched over to AU. Its a pain to switch back.

At least the Hue controlled part of my house responds to Alexa, although its driving my wife nuts as I have to keep pointing out the bits of the house that don't respond to Alexa.

Me too. I was about to choose Alexa, but then realised that it was silly given how much I already use with Google and also, Amazon doesn't really provide everything in the same way for us in Aus yet.

Hope they can fix up the skill though, Oz Alexa peeps have a rough time of it. :smile:

Good news!

I just had a live troubleshooting session with the Hubitat team and the AU skill is now working.

They will submit the skill for approval over the next few days, and once Amazon approves it will be available to everyone.

Thanks Hubitat team!

Absolutely, thx Hubitat team.
Even though Google's "in my hut now", it serves HE very well to get worldwide adoption for platforms such as Alexa.

Thanks!
And confirming the Aussie Alexa skill is live on the amazon.com.au skill store, and working well for me.

Good one.