Standard HE weather tile

Hey All,
there is a weather tile in HE standard listing, and you can place it - great. But how do you access it as there is no App for it to pull the information. I did a forum search but couldnt find anything.
(Yes, I have an image tile for weather from whatever website it was already) - but I just wanted to know how to drive the stock one.

02%20pm

I think you can use any weather device. Not sure, actually.

I've been using this one:

Create a Virtual Device. Give it a name of your choosing and then for Type.. scroll down to OpenWeather. Save.

Go to the OpenWeather website, create yourself a free account... which gives you a Key. Copy/paste it into the Virtual Device and anything else it needs.. That should do it.

In your Dashboard, find the virtual device you just created and select it. The Tile should populate. :slight_smile:

Once you understand THAT, you can move on to a more advanced weather solution and I too like wx-ApiXU-driver. :slight_smile: It's got 60 attributes and I'm sure no one needs all of them. It has the option of disabling all the attributes you don't need and turn on the ones you do. It too requires you get a free account to obtain a key. You will have to Import the source into Driver Code and then it will appear in the same list as OpenWeather did. Same virtual device, just change the driver to use wx-ApiXU-Driver and fill in the blanks.

2 Likes

cheers guys, appreciate it.

FYI, the weather tile seems to populate SOME info correctly. But, the wind is not updating. I am using wx-ApiXU. See below...

One says 11mph, the other says 7mph. Same source

I'm seeing similarities between these two individual Weather resources:

43%20PM

Both are using Hubitat's Weather Template. That Template uses OpenWeatherMap attribute 'spellings' while wx-ApiXU uses ApiXU's spellings: such as windDirection & wind_dir

I 'fixed that' by doubling the Attributes used for the Weather Template, where there were spelling differences. One retrieved data value from ApiXU yields two identical values but with different spellings of the attribute name.

@csteele Thanks for the reply. It appears the standard tile, in my situation, is using the 'windSpeed' attribute. I added a separate tile displaying this attribute and it shows '7' whenever I select that. But, 'wind', 'wind_mph', and 'wind_mytile' are all in sync. Any ideas on how to fix?

Clearly, your standard weather tile is working. So, it's gotta be user error on my part!

Of course, it was my error. The driver I was using is the "ApiXU Weather Driver", apparently, adapted from your work. That driver indeed reports wind data incorrectly. I switched to the "wx-ApiXU-Driver" and all is well now. Thanks!

APUXI driver is the ‘original’ in the Hubitat community. I took that and edited fiercely to improve performance of the Hub. Now @Matthew has adapted mine into the pair of DarkSky drivers. More or less, exactly how we’d like a community to work. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

3 Likes

I downloaded @Matthew 's work today. So far so good.