Stable Platform Files

I'm a nervous old man. I wait after each platform upgrade for the bugs to be worked out. My C4 hub is my main automation device. I have a C7 running next to it that really does nothing except some experiments. I'm beginning to feel that I will never get my C4 migrated to the C7 as there is always a new release - and rightly so with an evolving product. But for us who are jittery about messing up our systems would it be possible to have a file area where "known stabil" platforms could be DL?

If 2.2.4.158 proves to be pretty much bug free with all Hubitat hubs and the team is working on a new release could we archive 2.2.4.158 for a fall back? I know you can roll back with the diagnostic tool - but that only goes back so so far. My C4 is on 2.2.2.126 which has been rock solid for me. Sorry for rambling, but I would like to feel more secure in upgrading my workhorse hub.

Not 2.2.4.156 specifically (I assume that's what you meant for the second version number?), but if it's one of the last three versions you've had installed, you will--as you know--see it in the diagnostic tool. But, release 2.2.4.158 (the latest as of my writing) did add a way to manually download the latest releases from the 2.2.2 or 2.2.3 series (2.2.3.148 and 2.2.2.129, specifically) if you want to revert to them:

If you're on 2.2.4.158 and think your Z-Wave problems might be specific to something after 2.2.4.148, then you can also revert just the Z-Wave stack to the version used as of that release:

So ... a few things that may help if you end up with problems and don't have 2.2.4.156 available, even though it might not literally be 2.2.4.156 (but if you don't change versions more than a few times, hopefully you'll still have that too--or the other things that staff are apparently even slightly concerned about will solve your problems if needed). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Apps change. For me, Simple Automation became 1.1, and anything old modified with it becomes 1.1, perhaps introducing some issue as well. And then when you want to go back, you've lost that app. That's my understanding.

Apps are definitely a consideration: if you created anything with a new version, like Simple Automation Rules 1.1, you'll want to either make sure this app still exists in the version you roll back to or also restore a hub database that matches the firmware version (that latter thing is never a bad idea but sometimes a necessity).

That being said, child app versions will not update on their own. New instances will usually be of that version (rare case: Rule Machine let you create both 3.0 and 4.0 children for a while, and you can still create any version as new via a clone if you have one available to do so). However, existing instances will remain what they were, even when editing, unless you manually remove and recreate them.

Thanks for the post Robert. You always chime in with such helpful and detailed help - you're a real bonus to this community. I'm late in responding because I had a couple surgeries to deal with, but I'm all clear now so I will delve into your messages. Thanks again for all you do for community members.