Spruce Zigbee Soil Moisture Sensors - driver needed?

Is this a fully assembled device or are you just selling the parts? If fully assembled I am definitely interested.

I paired the v3 sensor without installing the driver ("Spruce wifi master") first so I deleted and unpaired the device. After installing the drivers and rejoining the device I am still unable to see any of the current states. I also disconnected my Smartthings hub when I re-joined the device. The only thing I didn't do was change the zigbee channel which I wasn't comfortable doing because I don't fully understand all the implications of doing so. I'm on zigbee channel 20.

I don't have any issues joining the device but I just don't see any current states once the device has been added to Hubitat. Any advice is appreciated.

Turns out I was using the wrong driver for the gen3 sensor. This one is working for me:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PlaidSystems/Spruce-Hubitat/master/drivers/Spruce%20sensor.src

Make sure to unpair/re-pair after installing the new driver.

For the benefit of everyone's interest in this sensor...
Please come back and update one of the threads on it to let us know if you consistently experience believable data with it long term. There's been some that haven't been happy with it.

1 Like

Will do. I did compare ground temperature reported vs actual temp outside and it was only a couple of degrees off. I will water the plants tomorrow and see how much humidity % changes.

Apart from this device is there any other z-wave or ZigBee soil moisture sensor that is commercially available? I could not find one searching the internet.

I too have been looking. There are other platforms / solutions as pointed out in this thread. Some more reliable for the $, but I had hopes on the Spruce to get a version that works reliably at a price point that would allow small Ag deployment.

P.S. I think you'll need a few months before you're sure to have evaluated the data ranges.

After pulling my hair out I found your post. Installed the driver unpaired and repaired the sensor and it's working. I'm using the Temp and Humidity Tiles.

Got the Spruce sensor up and running yesterday, I used separate temperature and humidity templates for the dashboard. Temp seems OK with no offset needed. Humidity ranges from 1 in free to 50 submerged in water. Inserted in the plant and freshly watered I'm seeing around 25%. I'm a newbie with Hubitat and this thing was a real challenge to figure out.

1 Like

Hi @rob17

Now that you have the Spruce sensors integrated, how's it going so far?
Are you able to trigger your Irrigation controller via HE?
Which Irrigation controller are you using?

Thanks, Tom

I'm not who you asked but I just installed an individual V3 moisture sensor and it's working great.

Someone mentioned that the sensor maxes out at 50%. I checked the Spruce knowledge base and the reason for this is that the sensor reports the volumetric water level so the soil and air account for the other 50%. Here's the article about it: What is my target moisture level? - Spruce Support

As others have pointed out, make sure to install the driver before pairing it to the zigbee network or you won't get any updates.

So far, I'm only using it to monitor a single potted lemon tree and have no automatic watering system in place. I've been looking at a Rachio unit to control my valves but haven't decided yet.

This thread has been sort of negative about these sensors but I haven't had any problems with mine. Seems well-built and the magnet switch is a clever way to avoid water penetration.

I have a V3 that I installed a few months ago and the maximum that it has hit, so far, is 60%

I can also confirm that I've got one working well...can't comment on longevity yet. I think one thing that might get folks is knowing your soil type and how well (or not in my case) it retains moisture.