Spruce Zigbee Soil Moisture Sensors - driver needed?

I am assuming you meant pair. I am not using the sprinkler controller from Spruce. I am only using moisture sensors to get the lawn moisture just for display. Both my sensors seems to stopped reporting in yesterday. Not sure why yet.

sorry yeah pair. I got the latest gen3 sensors they are very good. But I use spruce as well. I really hope they support HE soon. It's on their radar but not sure when / if they'll do it

Any update on these? One of my last few sensors in ST

the only problem i had with the spruce sensor was i had to change channels to something below 20

I had to change my zigbee to 20 to make my Schleage locks work (well join anyway). I wonder if it will mess that up if a go back down.

I have been running the fist generation Spruce without any problems
Zigbee channel = 20
Device Driver = Environment Sensor
From iharyadi

1 Like

These seem really interesting, but can't imagine paying $59 per sensor, as much as I'd love to have them in my system for a few key (fancy) house plants. we picked up a bunch of these from Ikea CHILIPULVER Plant watering sensor, green - IKEA they have 3 settings depending on the watering needs of your plan and flash a VERY BRIGHT blue LED when they need water. No connected, but also only $4.99

@jared.zimmerman They are better suited in the lawn not plants. Not sure that $4.99 job would fair too well against the zero turn

Ah here in sunny Mountain View, CA 15-20 degrees is the lowest it ever gets and even then, that pretty rare. We’re using ours for key indoor plants only. Maybe if we redo the yard we’d consider the Spruce sensors for each major planting area. Kind of surprised the smart watering systems like Rachio, Rain Machine, etc don’t have their own zone sensors.

Spruce official HE drivers: Spruce Gen2 + Hubitat Connect - Spruce Support

2 Likes

I recently purchased the Spruce Zigbee Moisture Sensor, but I cannot get any data from either of the drivers mentioned above.

The sensor connected quickly and I can see that it is connected to my Zigbee network.

I’m not sure what I can do to debug this further... The logs don’t tell me much, but I know very little about how Zigbee works...

I’d love to get input from others in the community on this - Is there anything that I can do to debug this further? Are there other drivers for this device out there that might work for me?

Thanks!

I was able to get the spruce sensor working with my HE just today.

I used the driver from here:

https://github.com/PlaidSystems/Spruce-Hubitat

I only installed the soil sensor driver. I do not have a Spruce irrigation controller so the rest of the drivers and apps were not what I was looking for.

I used zigbee channel 20 already so the device paired fine.

The key for me was to install the driver before pairing the sensor. Once I did things in that order it started to report fine. Temp and humidity.

I do not however, understand the relationship between actual soil moisture and the humidity that the sensor reports.

2 Likes

Me neither. Mine is reasonable most of the time (something between 0-100%, and I just got a feel for when it was likely "dry" enough to need watering based on my usual schedule and the rainfall amounts my area was estimated to receive, plus how long it stayed at that level), but as of a few weeks ago, mine is now giving impossible values:

Screenshot of Spruce sensor showing humidity values upwards of 400%!

I'll probably put it away for the season soon and try a reset and re-pair next spring, and hopefully it will be better then. I had similar problems at some point last year. While it was fun to experiment with, I'm not sure I'd really recommend this device (it also does temperature, but that's not a good indicator of outdoor temperature for me given that it often receives direct sunlight, and I'm assuming it's temperature of the upper part and not the soil probe, though I don't know). Hopefully it works better within Spruce's own system, but with my experience so far, I'm not about to find out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did see somewhere online an image that showed that the temp sensor is in the bottom most portion of the blue part. So that it would be touching the ground, but not in it necessarily.

Also. My sensor seems to have the max humidity at 10 and the minimum at 5. Which basically tells me nothing.

Those are just the maximum and minimum values it has reported since you started recording (or reset these values), in case that is helpful. Mine used to range up to 100%, rarely getting close to that but often hovering around 70-80-ish, if I recall, back when things when were working well; when it stayed much lower than that, I usually preferred to water, though your plants/preferences may vary).

Thanks. That makes a ton more sense than what I was thinking.

Here is the image showing the sensor locations.

1 Like

I concur. Mine was paired and adding the driver afterwards didn’t work.

I therefore unpaired it, reset the device and then paired it again with the driver already installed and that did the trick. The device now reports its status. Thanks! :grinning:

1 Like

I looked for these and they are back ordered and won'r be around until May....ANyone have an other sensors that work with HE