Split up a multi endpoint device

First off, I'm not a developer, but I'm willing to learn :D.

I've got a FLS-PP3 driver which have 2 endpoints. 0A for the white channel and 0B for RGB.

Would it be possible to create a driver which splits the device in 2 childs and then have the childs use the appropriate driver, like Advanced Zigbee Bulb for the white channel and Advanced Zigbee RGB for RGB? Or would i need to adress the childs as components?

You can use the Hubitat Built-In "Generic Component ..." drivers for each of your child devices. This saves you the trouble of having to write and maintain those drivers. But you will need to write the Parent Driver, which will perform all communications with the actual device.

There is an example of how to writer a Parent/Child driver in the Hubitat Public Github Repo.

1 Like

I suspected as much.
Is that a limitation of the parent-child setup, that I can't use the build-in Zigbee drivers for lights, on a child?
I'm not seeking to control anything from the parent, just need to control the childs individually.

It's just the architecture of a Parent/Child device driver. Parent devices are paired with the physical device, while the child devices only communicate to the physical device via the parent. Only one "Device" on the hub can be associated/paired to a physical zigbee device. Thus, the Parent fulfills that role.

The traditional built-in Zigbee drivers are not designed to work as Parent or Child devices (except for the case where Hubitat has provided a built-in driver for a multi-endpoint device already.)

2 Likes

That explains it very well. Thank you for that.

It makes total sense. I will try to get something working for this use case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.