Sound Trigger Missing from Simple Automation Rules

I'm just testing my alarm sensor driver and realised that there is no option for triggering an action in the Simple Automation Rules app based upon a detected sound, though the 'SoundSensor' capability is supported by the system.

Motion, open/close, arrive/depart, switch on/off, button and others are all there, just no sound! Could this be added?

1 Like

I know simple automation just recently change its name from simple lighting. I think this might be why some options are missing.

I would think @bravenel would be the one to decided if this can be added!

I'm not aware of devices with this capability, nor do any apps support it. What device is this?

The only one I know of is the Netatmo weather device that has a "Sound meter: Ranges from: 35 dB to 120 dB". I do not have one, but thought it might be nice to use it for those songs/commercials play so much louder. This device could possibly sense that and turn things down/up accordingly.

Also linking to the app/driver which shows the db level in HE

Hey @bravenel, it’s this thing; the AlertMe Alarm Detector. It's tuned to respond to sirens of various types, so you can put it next to your smoke detector or any other source of wee-waw noises.

The SoundSensor capability is perfect for it as it's only a 'detected' or 'not detected' message from the IAS cluster. In operation it's otherwise identical to the AlertMe / Iris motion sensor, so I could easily fudge it and write the driver as a motion or button press or something - but that's not really the Right Way. :wink:

2 Likes

We will get to addressing SoundSensor capability down the road, but this is not high on the priority list. If you are writing your own driver, then by all means use a capability that the apps support for now.

Not a problem, I'll leave the SoundSensor lines in there for the future and just mimic a motion sensor for now, as that's the device it most closely resembles in behaviour.

If anyone's interested I've got pretty much the whole AlertMe device range sorted with custom drivers now, with presence detection, save for the Lamp (a bit more complicated) and the Display (not a clue how to deal with this one).

They're available at the top of the AlertMe Device Drivers thread.

1 Like

I don't know if this is a recent thing, but look what I spotted in the Notifications app today!

Works just fine too. :smiley:

It's also in HSM Custom Rule. Will be in Simple Automation Rules and Rule Machine in the next release.

1 Like

Yay! Great stuff, @bravenel, that's awesome! :grin:

I see it in the beta post from the live stream. :smiley: