Sonos volume not set in RM3.0?

I have just rewritten what was previously 3 rules into a single RM3.0 rule. It all works well and I love the flexibility RM3.0 now gives.

The only issue is that one of the commands is to sent a TTS to a Sonos device. I used the same command as previously using the Sonos as a music device and setting the volume to 35. It sounded like the volume was louder than that when it played and on checking the Sonos device page the volume was showing at 40 and the last command string also showed volume 40.

Rule-3.0 uses the exact same command as Rule-2.5: playTextAndRestore(msg, volume). However, I can see that it doesn't display the action correctly. I will test this later when I'm by a Sonos.

@bravenel Any insights or progress on this? I've several rules which set the volume to 50 and the best I can get is 25%:

Have you tried the simplest rule -- just Action, to test? Does it work from the device page?

The issue seems to live in the "Send or Speak Message" section.

If I use the "Set Volume" on the device page, I can change the level.
If I put a simple trigger together and use the "Set Level" from the "Control Music Player" menu, I can change the level.
If I create "Send or Speak Message" with a volume setting, it is ignored.

This is all well known behavior. If you want to control volume from RM, you must use it as a music player, not a speech device. We have it on our list to clean this up, so that volume can be applied to a speech device, and the distinction between the two in RM will go away.

Is there a difference between a music player and a music device? I ask as I am using it as a music device for speaking messages.

There is no option to set the volume for the "On this speech device".

There is no volume (for now) on a speech device, while there is on a music player. In RM select the music player and you can set the volume for Sonos speaking a TTS message.

We intend to clean all of this up, so that speech devices have volume settings, and then RM would be updated to get rid of the distinction it now has.

1 Like