Sonos is killing my Hub

What is the size of your database backup?

Averaged at ~4.2MB and after changing to 5 events / 5 states they dropped down to 2.4MB so definitely something was pruned, thank you.

Any views / comments / insights on the Sonos issue as I cannot really use any dashboard for my >15 devices without severely maxing the hub even at the global setting (validated on the individual devices) of 5 / 5 history.

I realize the devices expose a good amount of attributes and events and that some of the attributes are also long streams of data but they devices are idle 99.9% of the time at which it seems that activity should drop down to almost none - certainly for subscribing entities?

That's a reasonable size for database. As for Sonos, the integration needs some attention. I only have one and it's also a hog, but not to the point that my hub has any problems.

Thank you. Is there a way to open-source it to increase the team's bandwidth? It was never an issue until 2.2.6 so some other change must have impacted it...

I have a C-7 since last December still in the box. This may be the trigger to subscribe and migrate from the C-5, however, throwing more hardware at the problem is not necessarily going to solve the issue and is also bad practice overall.

I just found this thread and I'm having the same issues on a C-7 with sonos killing my hub. A reboot seems to clear it for a little while but it will eventually get totally bogged down in a week or so and throws warnings. I have 12 devices in Sonos so it's not a small system but it isn't what I'd consider huge either.

try disabling trackData in the preferences for all your speakers.

2 Likes

Done. I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens. Thanks for the idea!

Also have you got them reserved in your router? If they move IP that Muller's the hub, so fixing the IP is a good idea.

I have as best I can.
BTW, don't try to tell the people at Sonos that hard-coding IP addresses is important, they'll just ignore you and feed you some BS about how that's not a good thing for some reason. :grin:

That's probably using static IP which can have issues if you don't know how to do it correctly. Address reservation is the better one as the router does the work, you've just saying to it always use this IP.

1 Like

That seems to have done the trick! One week later and no load warnings. Thanks again!

What is the downside (if any) to doing this? Does it just not poll for track information if this toggle is disabled?

there isn't a down side, unless you're trying to capture a track url for some reason.

I'm glad you brought this up. My Sonos is used for announcements...barely a peep out of it through the day, yet there is plenty of entries in the logs.

Just looked at the Runtime Statistics and it's up there both as a device and an application:

Yeah, thats normal, sonos requires that the hub update its dlna subscriptions (every 20 minutes i recall). If this isnt done then the hub would no longer receive event notifications from those devices.

3 Likes

Very useful. I have 7 Sonos devices and I've found that the hub has been a bit of hit and miss when it comes to managing the devices. I thought I was the only one. I do not use reserved IP for my Sonos devices but I've tried it in the past. I've just switched to a ubiquiti based network and I need to reassign fixed IP addresses (Google WiFi is garbage for a reasonable big network with more than 4 access points).

I didn't have the hub overload issue, it was more that over time my dashboard for controlling Sonos stopped working. I'll move them to reserved IP and recreate them to see how that works.

Hi @par.botes ,

Just curious. What are you doing on your Sonos dashboard? What kind of activities do you control?

My environment is similar to yours; Unifi Network OS, around 6 Sonos devices.

Thanks

Hi,

sorry for being late with my reply. work took over my life... :slight_smile:

I'm using the dashboard mostly for volume control of sonos.