Sonoff S31 Lite (Zigbee) very chatty - is this a problem?

I bought two of the Sonoff S31 LIte Zigbee plugs during the recent Amazon sale when they were $7.50. I bought one primarily as a repeater to a zigbee bulb, and the other to automate a light.
They mostly work ok.

About once a week one of the three automations associated with them, including the bulb for which one of these acts as a repeater, will fail its automation. I've determined that I have the automations written correctly, so now looking at the devices, and noticed that they are very "chatty." My logs indicate the thing reports back to the hub about every 5 minutes.

1. Is this normal behavior?
  2. a. If yes, is it slowing down my hub or causing other problems?
  3. b. If no, how do I resolve it?

HE: C-7, running 2.3.2.141
Device: Installed as Generic Zigbee Outlet per the direction in a thread about these

You might want to read this thread before you buy anymore.

Thanks. I had not seen that. Based on the thread

I should probably have bought the S40Lite instead of the S31 Lite...the S40's were $0.50 less expensive than the S31's at the time I bought them, but I thought the S31 indicator light might be useful. Turns out the indicator light is a pain and I taped over it...and I'm out of my return window.

However still wondering if how "chatty" they are is a problem, and if so is there a way to quiet them down?

I personally find that the non repeating Zigbee bulbs cause a lot of traffic on the repeaters. I switched my bulbs to the INNR Zigbee repeating bulbs and everything got happy fast.

Nothing to worry about, I wouldn't classify this device as a 'chatty'. 5 minutes is a very long time period for a Zigbee network. I have two mmWave radars which are sending the distance to the detected human every single second when activated and this extraordinary frequent traffic (every 500 milliseconds!) has practically zero effect on my Zigbee network, I can't notice any delays when activating other Zigbee switches or plugs or sirens. I have 7 light automations (Room Lighting app) triggered by Zigbee PIR and radar sensors which turn on the lights instantly despite the heavy traffic. I have a total of more than 30 devices in my Zigbee network, the bandwidth and the responsivity are much better than I expected.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.