Sonoff Motion Sensor [Working]

I have a couple of Sonoff motion sensors and they have stayed rock solid using markus's driver which I believe you are using. (You mentioned presence which markus's driver gives).
All you need to do is go to the driver page in the UI.
Select discover devices, start zigbee pairing.
On your Sonoff device hold the button in for 5 - 10 seconds and release to get the device in pairing mode.
Your hub should find the device as an existing device and hopefully all will be good.
This is the same for all makes of zigbee devices. You do not need to remove them, the hub finds them as an existing device.
Makes life so much easier.

1 Like

I will try that. It was working solidly up until last night.

No go. Could not get hub to discover it again.
Wondering if it is a distance issue, or perhaps interference?
Always have trouble with items in the garage.

Is there a method to completely remove it?

Afterthought: so, I am able to Reset to Active/Reset to Inactive in the device manager, which means that the hub is able to communicate.

I've got one of these right now in a basement closet, and I'm using the Markus driver. I have noticed it seems to go off mesh every now and then and the driver tries to recover it. For my part, I'm suspecting a weak mesh in that closet for Zigbee...so I'm going to move a repeating device a bit closer to help out. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Any good options for Zigbee repeaters?

I like the Samsung (samjin) plug in outlets, but I know a lot of people are using the Ikea plugs to good success. I've also been buying and installing GE/Jasco Enbrighten Zigbee 3.0 in wall outlets, and these seem to work well, without the WAF lowering effect of a wall wart sticking out of the outlet!

S.

1 Like

I've been really happy with the Tradfri Repeater using the community driver.

2 Likes

I may just pick up one or two today...

1 Like

Confirming we are talking about SNZB-03, if so I have tried 4 of them and they have paired but will not sense activity. 3 of the units did successfully pair and operate before loading the Oh La Labs driver. 2 of them fell off (still perfecting setting my mesh), and I have not been able to get them back to sense activity. They did re-pair, but that's about it.

There is another thread on this here: [RELEASE] Sonoff Zigbee Button, Motion/Temperature&Humidity/Contact Sensor Drivers

And am eagerly awaiting next step instructions to the guru's who reside there.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Happy to dump logs if anyone can make any sense of them.

Yup, the SNZB-03. I presently have one of those, and one of the Temp/Humidity Sensors (SNZB-02?).

The SNZB-03 has been rock solid on the native Hubitat Generic Zigbee Motion (no Temp) driver.

I'll check when I get home to verify that's the driver I'm using, but I was using the Markus driver originally, and switched over when I updated the hub to 2.4.148 or whatever version introduced the support for the SONOFF Zigbee through that driver. Can't remember, sorry.

I should be getting another batch of 4 in soon, so I'm following this to see what you figure out, just in case I run into similar problems.

S.

@scottgu3 I have stepped back to HE.153 and the generic driver and seem to be having much better luck so far. 12+ hrs and all devices still reporting and active. This all within ~5 feet of the hub. Now to start extending the mesh.

@paul11 I did see some strangeness while using the markus driver, long periods where the driver was reporting that the sensor had missed it's reporting and was in recovery mode. However, the sensor behaved normally whenever I checked. I use it as a closet light trigger, so I can just open the door to see if it's working!

So far, it's not failed, and within the usual expecations of Sensor->Hubitat->Hue Hub communications, it's working in a timely and reliable fashion!

I'd say door motion to light on is about half a second.

Hopefuly yours continue working as well.

S.

Thanks @scottgu3.

I'm starting to see some settling of the mesh I think. And to keep things interesting have upgraded to HE .158. Seemed to transition fairly well (or mostly so).

So I added a few other times in...

4x Motion Sensors SNZB-03
2x S31 Lite Plug/Repeater
1x Contact Sensor SNB-04

And will be watching them as the mesh shorts itself out.

You are right about the reaction time. Very quick. Super impressive.

Thanks for your help on all this.

1 Like

I use the samsung zigbee plugs: Samsung SmartThings GP-U999SJVLDAA Smart Outlet, Automated Plug-in Lighting Module, White

SAMSUNG
They work great. I have 2, one fairly close to the hub and one farther out, they work together. The only hassle is they have to be ON to repeat. I noticed if I turn that middle plug off, I lose zigbee devices in the outer zone.

That's just strange, and makes no real sense. (Not that it isn't happening, but it's just Weird).

For you to remotely control the outlet through Hubitat, the Zigbee radio must remain on at all times, regardless of the state of the controlled outlet. I have a number of Samsung plugs and use them as repeaters extensively. I've never looked for this behavior, but I'd be utterly gobsmacked if I saw it.

Just goes to show everyone has different experiences with the same devices!

S.

I was surprised but twice my wife shut the plug in the kitchen off (which she naturally thought was OK) and I lost connectivity to my zigbee motion sensor and door contact sensor. I turned it on and bingo, working again. So, now I have her trained to leave it on. I purposely placed the second one in an unused outlet.

Circling back on this old thread, it seems most of the flakey issues I was having with the Sonoff gear was related to a failing zigbee radio in my hub. It eventually died putting me out of my misery. Now it's replaced the devices either work or don't. I say that because out of 10 sonoff devices i eventually purchased 2 were just bad. The others have seemed to work very well for some time now.

So overall I think these little devices are good value (very cheap), but buy them from somewhere you can send back the duds.

Just got 2 SNZB-03 motion sensors, but neither of them will pair. Am I missing something?

I would check the batteries first. You may need to bent a little the metal parts that are supposed to make a good contact to the battery cell.