Something weird regarding Simple Automation Rules

Dear Community

Over the past few days, I am starting to have issues with the Simple automation rules created weeks ago. They were working well but now, they do not respond correctly. I have tried to restarting the hub but this seems not to solve the issue.

I tried to isolate the issue and It seems to be happening to the Zwave and Zigbee devices. Example as follow

I have my garden lights to be triggered at sunset and disconnected at Sunrise. Yesterday I had to connect them manually because the rule did not work. I also restarted the hub. This morning when I woke up at 8:30, (sunrise in my hub is at 6:30), garden lights were on.... I checked my dashboard and the tiles were all triggered and ON including my my garden lights ..... The wired thing is that as soon as I entered in my hubitat hub and after a few seconds all of the lights went off and the tiles were refreshed showing OFF status.

I am not sure what is going on but this is happening already since days ago. If i look to the event it self, the event is triggered correctly showing on and off according to the rule ( On at 8:30pm and they went off at 6:30am), but what the event shows is not what is really happening.

Any ideas? Thanksss

What brand are your lights? I'm also curious how far away are your lights from the hub and how far away from the closest device that is the same protocol?

A couple of outlets are GE and the bulbs are Sengled

My hub is less than 30 feet (10 meters) from the mentioned devices.

Two GE outlets are together....Bulbs are 30 feet from each other

So your sengled lights are zigbee. Are your ge lights also zigbee or zwave?

Also under hub details. Is your hub time correct? A rule of thumb for me after a hub update or reboot. I go into Simple automation/ motion lighting/RM and life360 and click done. This solved lots of issue for me.

1 Like

are you suggesting to enter in each of my simple automation rules one by one and click done? THANKS TO CONFIRM

Not one instance at a time. It would take days for me :grin:.
Just the apps itself.

Thankssss

Hello there

I have tried to isolate the issue, This is quite wired. Only happening with the Sengled Bulbs. They are very close to the Hub but still not switching on. if I look to the events, I can see they have been triggered by the system but lights do not switch on. The most weird part is that if I manually trigger them through the dashboard they work perfectly....

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy.....

Are the Sengled in a simple automation rule by themselves or with other lights? Can you check the subscribed events. To do this, go into your simple automation rule and click on the gear icon and then scroll down to Event Subscriptions.

Hello there

There is nothing in the subscribed events..... is this normal?

Not the parent app, the specific Simple Automation Rule that doesn't work right.

Also, show the rule itself for context.

1 Like

This is what I can see in one of the lights not working as expected

Assuming that sunset where you are is at 8:17 PM (tomorrow), all of that looks as it should.

On the App Status page, at the top is a button for Events. Post that page. It will show when the rule did it's thing.

if you compare the setting regarding the light not working as expected and another one working as expected is the following. Not sure if this might help. I have deleted the rule and created again but the result is the same

As Bruce asked, it will help if you can post what is shown in the App Events. Click this button in your Simple Automation rule after clicking the gear icon.

Also, in the original post, you mentioned that you wanted the lights to also turn off at Sunrise. You'll need to turn this on for that to happen.

2 Likes

I really want to see those events. Please.

sorry... I was trying to solve the issue and I deleted all simple automation rules and consequently I cannot recreate them anymore....

Sorry I know information is very vague.... I have replicated the automation based on specific time for On and OFF. Here you have the event,...... Same behavior..... If I use dashboard, the light switch on immediately, but not through Automatic rules.... What is funny is that I have some lights ( same model, same rules) working perfectly.....

Thanks.... I am switching off that specific light at a certain time and consequently, I do not use that feature...

1 Like

You basically need to start over with presenting information concerning what fails. Please don't bother posting anything about what does not fail, as that is not helpful. If you have Simple Automation rule that fails consistently, please have Logs open in a tab at the time it fails, and then present this information: The app page, the App Status page, The App Events from the App Status page, the live logs for that period of time, and the Device Events for the device that is not working.

So far, all of what you've shown indicates that the Simple Automation rule is working, and that the problem may lie elsewhere. Trying to find where the failure is requires tracking the flow of events with care.