[Solved] Z-Wave Failed - DEAD

These will mess up your mesh no matter what driver you use. Remove them to start.

Remove and then rejoin the Zooz and Aeon sensors, and the Aeon Energy Meter. Be sure to rejoin as non-secure.

This is not what we are observing. If you have a lot of powered Z-Wave devices, you shouldn't need any repeaters. Humor me, remove them, see if it helps.

You could well have a very hosed up mesh due to a combination of all of these factors. Our next release will have a number of Z-Wave improvements, including with respect to ghost nodes. My suggestion would be to wait for that, or to rebuild your Z-Wave from scratch, with no Iris repeaters, only secure Z-Wave for locks, and no custom drivers. Follow the guide here: How to Build Your Z-Wave Mesh.

1 Like

Interesting. As this is one of the things I worry about, it would be good to hear more on that.

I am always paranoid (probably irrationally so) that something happened to create ghost devices on my zwave stick...

Hopefully the new change will at least provide a way of detecting/seeing that, if not a way to fix or remove them.

@bravenel are the majority of the issues described in the last couple of days z-wave related?

In this topic, yes. Beyond that, don't know which ones you are referring to, so a generalization won't be of use.

I must ask then, what is so different in the Hubitat Z-stack that makes these so bad? I ran them for literally years on SmartThings and Iris even before that. It's only on Hubitat that Ive ever been told to get rid of them. I'd like some technical details on how these "mess up" the mesh. My experience with these devices, starting with a private, closed hardware beta with the Iris team several years ago has proven to me that these are good Z-Wave repeaters.

I will try to rejoin the others. However, right now the radio is completely unresponsive. That needs to be solved before I can do anything else. Also, The Aeon Energy Meter G5 only pairs securely. If you pair it non-secure, it will not function.

The reason why I use the Iris Plugs for repeaters, is that many of them are connected to UPSs, whereas my switches are not. When the power goes out, and it does now and then, these will carry the Z-mesh while the switches are powered off.

The undetected ghost nodes to concern me, especially given the number of failures with pairing the locks I've experienced. But please understand that I just migrated from SmartThings, after years of running these exact same devices without any issue. From a scientific standpoint, I cannot blindly accept that these devices are now somehow "bad" whereas I have years of evidence to the contrary. If you have information from logs collected from my hub that you're basing this analysis on, I would truly appreciate it if you would share them.

If you are referring to my posts, those previous issues were Zigbee related, and were related to ongoing multiple, duplicate events, missed events, etc. Those are still happening.

Not what you want to hear I am sure, but my system took time to settle down after I first moved over from smart things. I remember reading at the time that adding a bunch of devices quickly would do this so I expected it. I had a less than consistent experience with smartthings for the 3 years I ran it though so I guess you could say I was tolerant.

@srwhite - I am wondering if you would consider removing a considerable portion of your Iris 3210-L outlets from you Hubitat hub (both Zigbee and Z-Wave) to see if you've simply hit some sort of limit...???

What makes your system stand out from most systems are those 50+ Iris outlets. As a test, could you reduce the number to about 10 to see how stable the system is? I know this is not a fix, but it might help in troubleshooting the root cause.

Of course, you'll need to get the Z-Wave half of the network up and running again before you can even try that. Have you tried restoring a very recent database backup to see if that gets things running again?

1 Like

I'm a very tolerant person. I'm also an engineer by trade, which is probably why some interpret my posts as being uncooperative or challenging of recommendations. When I migrated from SmartThings it was over a 2 week period. The first week was moving Zigbee devices including the Iris Plugs (and Z-Wave repeaters) but no Z-Wave devices, outside of a couple for testing. This was done very scientifically, starting closest to the hub and moving outward in a ring.

I was just posting here on Monday how stable and responsive the Z-Wave mesh has been. I guess I should have kept quiet.

I'm waiting on support for that. My instincts tell me that the Z-Wave radio is crashing, but the absence of logging makes that assertion impossible to validate.

Bruce may be on to something with respect to ghost devices. I went through a lot of challenges with trying to pair Schlage BE469 locks, and had to force remove them a few times.. But why last night after all this time?

I am an RF engineer by trade so I get it. I have found the hubitat folks very helpful. They have worked with many people including me and the end result is almost always a positive resolution. Almost always it a problem with a custom app or driver, so it's best to humor them :slight_smile:

You have time, so just wait and see what they say. If not amazon will take care of you.

You can probably appreciate this history then. I was working with Kianoosh and others at SmartThings last January advance testing their new Z-Wave firmware. I actually set up a "lab" in my basement with a hub and a couple random Z-Wave devices. Since you cannot force routes in Z-Wave, I accomplished the goal by spacing out devices and placing them inside steel electrical boxes between sheets of stainless steel for further signal attenuation. By doing so I was able to build a small 3 hop Z-Wave network using an old Aeon Gen 2 power meter to flood the network with power readings. Needless to say, it kept me busy for a few weeks, but I learned quite a bit about the Z-wave protocol during that time.

1 Like

So we have a mix of Zwave and zigbee issues.

Thanks for the clarification.

I can truly understand @bravenel and the rest of HE folks trying to keep the system as airtight as possible but without compromising the community creativity.
I however also believe that they should leverage the expert knowledge of persons like yourself (on z-wave) within the community. This could be accomplished by bringing experts like you into the resolution process of your own specific issues. Asking Experts like you to just be a robot and ask to do this and that without sharing the line of thought seems contraproductive.

Knowledge is preciless. Just my 2 cents.

P.s not trying to say to HE how to manage their business.

Assessing expertise in a forum like this is impossible. If someone's experience is such that they don't want to follow our advice, that's their choice. We don't offer advice to turn people into robots, but offer it based upon our experience with similar situations in an effort to be helpful.

1 Like

Completely agree. I'm always willing to help out, testing new code, rules, devices, etc. I did that for close to a year with the Iris team before I moved to SmartThings.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not challenging your advice just because.. And it's not that I don't believe your sincerity. However I am asking for a reasonable level of technical details to back those recommendations because I have years of experience that are saying otherwise. I understand if you don't want to share any further details, but then insist you understand my position as well.

I'm not sitting here with a support tool able to look at issues in your hub. Support can do that if you want. Do you have a Z-Wave sniffer? If so, that would shed some light on your mesh situation,

I am not a Z-Wave expert. My advice was offered based solely on observations of past problems and their determined root cause. So I can't give you any technical details. Feel free to ignore my advice.

I have a different view on that. So let's leave it as is. Further discussion will now start being also contraproductive. You need to focus on the important matters at hand and not being distracted by further noise that the discussion would bring.

I believe HE is a great platform that still being early stages has it's quirks. So keep the good work. :slight_smile:

I borrowed one last year for a couple weeks. I probably should make the investment in the Z-Wave Toolbox which has a packet analyzer.

I'll give support a chance to report back with what they find. It's not that I don't appreciate your advice, I do, you certainly have quite a bit of it from your past with ST and HE, I just need the underlying knowledge to understand the issue.

I don't know if someone already mentioned this but this is incorrect, I can talk about the Aeon Energy Meters, I have 2, when you pair it secure, it will freeze your mesh, I tested multiple times, multiple!, you can even search on this community, I ended excluding it, then weeks later I re paired but unsecure and it works perfectly, I added a second meter for my electric dryer, unsecure and working perfectly too.

Do not pair the HEM secure, it will freeze your z-wave!

5 Likes