[Solved] Z-Wave Failed - DEAD

I keep mine on a SmartPlus... Just in case.

I'm pretty sure it's a Gen5

I clicked once the button when pairing and it paired fine.

But I remember I read somewhere here in the community that someone had a different firmware and he had to turn off some encapsulation I think using the HE zwave tool.

1 Like

That could be. The part number of mine is ZW095-A, which is a revision of the G5 meter. I didn't give firmware or special configurations any though since it had paired right up with SmartThings without any issues. I will investigate that avenue this evening.

Thanks!

1 Like

Update: I rebooted the hub about an hour ago and instead of waiting 5-10 minutes for the hub to settle down I immediately kicked off a Z-Wave repair. An hour later it's still running and Z-Wave devices are coming back online one-by-one.

I'm hopeful support can provide some background as to what might have happened, but it definitely feels like the routing table on the stick got corrupted somehow.

I have several zooz power monitoring plugs, and they were reporting power usage multiple times per minutes (each one) and I was getting freezes. I Was originally blaming the influxdb app, but once I severely limited the power reporting on the zooz plugs everything is working great.

1 Like

This would be one of the most troublesome devices to have securely, they generate an insane amount of traffic when joined secured. I was having some issues I could not understand like devices hanging, etc. and after some advice from @mike.maxwell I finally joined it non-secure and suddenly those issues stopped, I was not even troubleshooting that as some of the devices having trouble are on the complete opposite side of the house... I also made the refresh rates longer to help lower the unnecessary traffic...

Hubitat does not support CRC-16 Encapsulation and apparently it may be possible to have a Z-Wave parameter set on that device by default to enable such encapsulation causing trouble so check that:

Also, check the firmware on your device, I currently have 1.31 and some people have 1.35. I contacted Aeon Support as my readings are not very accurate and they sent me the 1.35 firmware which requires you to remove and rejoin as per their instructions so this would be the perfect moment to do it... I asked them if it was OK to share it here and they say yes. Two things stopped me from sharing it: They did not give me any kind of changelog even though I specifically asked and I have not had time to test it myself...

I'll post it on that thread later today when I get home in case you want to upgrade yours...

1 Like

I have 2 monoprice 4 in 1, same as zooz, and it's been impossible to pair them non secure. Any suggestions? Thanks

I thought these had a separate button sequence for standard join...

I will have to read the manual again, but I just saw press once the button to join, nothing else about secure or non secure. I had to put the hub to accept all secure to get it paired again because I spend like an hour trying and nothing until joined secure. :sweat:

Heres an update.. After the repair, all devices except for one came back online. The one was removed and reconnected so everything is back as it was.

Once the repair completed I also removed and re-added the G5 energy meter. It took a few tries and button combinations to get it going with insecure join.. The secret is three button presses to start inclusion. One and two presses both tried to pair securely. Three presses did the trick.

Going to monitor the system closely for now. Still have a couple BE469 locks that I cannot connect. Hopefully I can work wit support soon to resolve that.

I would lodge a complaint with Zooz, for devices that are not door barrier class it should be up to the user to decide if they want secure pairing or not.
In this case the manufacturer had made this choice for you, and for that reason alone I personally would not purchase a device such as this.

If you figure this out please let me know. I have 2 of these and neither will pair even with the hub within a few feet.

My advice.. wait on the Schlage. They've acknowledged that they would look into it and they haven't released anything new since... It's been a very tough experience for @srwhite and I'd be sad to see another heap of hours spend when Hubitat could be internally testing an improvement.

Of course that could be said for a great number of issues surfaced here... :smiley:

I have the v1 and v2 of the ZSE40 (4-in-1) and both of mine are included insecure.

I've been in contact with support on this issue. What we know is that inclusion is timing out due to the lock not responding for 10 seconds. What we do not know yet is why. They have responded on this and I think we'll be doing some testing soon.

1 Like

Excellent news.

Good to hear you were able to join it insecure! I just posted the firmware update just in case you need it / want it, even though I have not upgraded it, the versions reported by someone else with 1.35 suggest a big bump in the Z-Wave Library version from 3.92 to 4.54.

I have 4 of these and no issue pairing them insecure. I actually hate these sensors. Very frustrating to get them to work the first couple of times. I use them mostly for lux. What model do you have? Here is mine.

Apparently same as yours

How you pair them? Thanks

Nothing special. Just exclude the sensor. After a successful exclusion. Put the hub in discovery and press the button twice at the button at the bottom of the sensor with a paper clip.
I have secure mode only for lock and garage.