[Solved] Offset for Sunset in SL looks to be broken! Turn On -15 before Sunset, it shows to turn On at 12:00:10 AM?

I have about 5 Simple Lighting apps set to run between -30 to -15 before Sunset.
Tonight I noticed that the one SL app " Sunset - Turn On - Outside & Landscape Lights 15 minutes before Sunset" did not run tonight. But all the other ones ran just fine.

Looking at setting for that app to see what time it was set to turn on, I noticed it was showing 12:00:10 AM EDT which is not correct.
Looking at a different SL app setting that also set to run -15 before Sunset. "Sunset - Close - Lower Left & Right Window Shade at 15 minutes before Sunset", it shows the correct time for it to run , 7:44:00 PM EDT.

This is the first time this happen and I'm not sure why it happen. The only thing I can try is delete that SL app and create it again?

Again both SL apps below are set to run -15 before Sunset.

(messed up time to run)

(Correct time to run)

Just tried to create another SL app with -15 , then tried -30, and then tried -45 and all come back showing the same run time as 12:00:10 AM EDT.

Here is a test SL app set to turn on -45 before Sunset and it still shows 12:00:10 AM EDT?

In order to do a time before Sunrise or Sunset, the app schedules a job at just after midnight. That job will then schedule the correct time for before Sunrise or Sunset. This only happens on the day you setup the rule (or hit Done on it later). The reason for this is that the system sends out an event every day at Sunrise that has the Sunrise time for tomorrow. But when you set the rule up, it's too late to get that time -- so it has to get it tomorrow morning. Same thing for Sunset -- at sunset ti sends out the time for tomorrow. These 12:00:10 things are one shots -- they go away after the first day.

On the App Status page you can see a subscription to SunsetTime, the event that will give the time for the next day. So every day the app wakes up then to schedule the rule to run the next day at the correct offset before sunset.

Why does the first two screen shots have two different run times, when both are set to run -15 before Sunset?

I understand with the 3rd screen shot, because I just created it within the hour. But the other two have been running for months, but now shows different run times?

This screen shot "just taken" doesn't show the 12:00:10AM time, it show the actual -30 before sunset run time.

I just don't understand why two different SL app both are set to run -15 before Sunset are showing two different run times? And both have been working for over a month just fine.

As I said, it only schedules the midnight thing on the first day, not on later days. This is normal.

Read what I posted above.

What it does at 12:00:10 is NOT to turn on the lights. It runs then to schedule turning them on later at the correct time.

Thanks, bravenel

Just trying to understand why is "only one" of the SL apps that is set to run before sunset showing that, but none of the others are?

Most likely because you hit Done on that one today after sunset. So it doesn’t know what time sunset tomorrow is, but will find out just after midnight. If you look at these tomorrow morning, all will have the same time.

Thanks!

I have the same problem. Rules that have been setup for months all of a sudden do not work with the sunset/sunrise offset. I haven't opened them and hit done other than one and that was two days ago. The explanation that it's the first day since hitting done doesn't make sense.

It will work on the first day, but show a scheduled event shortly after midnight, at which time it schedules the before sunrise event. The first day is handled differently than subsequent days due to the way sunrise time for tomorrow was handled in the system. This is being changed in the upcoming release (2.2.4); in that release it will only show the actual before sunrise time and not use the after-midnight event on the first day.

I don't think you're understanding. The rule doesn't work for many days in a row. I hadn't touched mine since setting it up a long time ago and then all of a sudden it stops working. I paused it this morning and then unpaused it and we'll see if it works tonight.

According to the scheduled jobs in the settings it shows the next run time in the year 2036 so I don't have much hope of it working.

Go into the instance and hit Done. Then see if that fixes the 2036 issue. Something happened, not sure what, where some clocks got set to 2036. Check your Location page and see if the time/date are right there.

Hitting Done didn't fix it. On the location page it doesn't show the date and time. It does show my house on a map and has the correct longitude and lattitude. The sunrise time is correct but the sunset time is way early.

I have two hubs in my setup. I checked my other hub and it had the right sunset time in it. I rebooted the main hub and it now shows the correct sunset time in the Locations page and on the page for the rule for the lights, it now shows no job scheduled. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it's working again.

Please show the rule and the App Status page again. After reboot, did you open it and hit Done again?

It's now showing the right time. I guess I need to open and close all the ones using Sunset/Sunrise.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.