[SOLVED] Having troubles with Inovelli Fan/Light Switch

Use the Inovelli-provided custom drivers, and set the device types as indicated (should be default with new Inovelli custom driver install):

I actually made three dashboard tiles for each LZW36, and they all work:

Disclaimer - I have not upgraded to 2.2.3 yet.....

1 Like

When you update, please keep me updated. I did what you just suggested me and is fully working. I guess that the problem is the new driver added by hubitat.

1 Like

Off command doesn't work with new driver and the following features are no more available.

I didn't upload all the pics, just some to show you as an example:

As I mentioned above (but was perhaps not clear about), all the "notification" options in your screenshot with Inovelli's driver are handled with the Set Indicator command in the built-in driver (which Inovelli has also made this available in their custom driver). If you do want the child devices (switch devices for notifications that show up under the "main" LZW36-SN device), then you would indeed need Inovelli's driver. IMHO, this is really a carry-over from SmartThings (the Hubitat driver is mostly a port of the SmartThings equivalent) where it's much harder to use custom commands without writing or using a custom SmartApp. Hubitat at least has Rule Machine built-in, which is one option for how you can use this command.

Inovelli's driver also includes a few "convenience" options to create child devices for other things. For most of what's left, they are just advanced options that are Z-Wave parameters and can be set via the Basic Z-Wave Tool (see above) if you really need to do them. Hubitat likely just included what they assume the most "popular" options would be in their built-in driver (as mentioned above, some options may be missing; Inovelli's includes the full gamut...why would a manufacturer not want to show off everything it can do? :slight_smile: ).

Regarding your "Off" problem, to summarize, I can see it being one of three things:

1. A problem with communication between the switch and canopy module. Above, you suggested that the physical "off" action on the switch itself worked, so this seems unlikely to be. (But if it does come up, power cycling both the ceiling module and the wall switch within, I think, 30 seconds or so of each other--ideally around the same time--may work to re-establish this.)
  1. A problem with the driver you're using. If it's Inovelli's driver, does Hubitat's work fine? If Hubitat's, does Inovelli's work fine? (Sorry if you already mentioned this above.) If one works, then I suppose it's unlikely to be any of these two other problems, and perhaps it's something the respective driver author could fix.

2. A problem with Z-Wave communication between your hub and the device, in which case it's likely no driver would work for any commands.

1 Like

With inovelli driver work perfect, the OFF command doesn't work just with Hubitat driver.

There are very important features missing, like the hability to change that power recovery state, for mentioning one. Can I access to those futures through the Basic Z-Wave Tool?

And thanks a lot for the detailed answers man, I'm really loving this community.

I'm not sure why Hubitat's driver would work for the "Off" command, but I have one of these devices I can test it with later to see if I can replicate the problem.

And yes, power recovery is a Z-Wave parameter that you can use the Basic Z-Wave Tool to set (one caution: if you paired the Inovelli with S2, I'm not sure if the Basic Z-Wave Tool requires an update to work with S2 and, if so, whether it has been updated). You'll have to consult Inovelli's manaul to find out the three pieces of information you'd need to set this parameter: the parameter number, the parameter size, and your desired parameter value.

Well, I'll be. There's a problem with Hubitat's built-in LZW36-SN driver. Sorry for not testing this sooner...then I could have avoided asking all those questions. :laughing:

Tagging @bcopeland as I assume he may have written this (or should know who did): I'm unable to turn off the "Fan" component of the new, built-in LZW36-SN driver via any method I've used: an off(), a setSpeed("off"), or a setLevel(0). All fail with this error:

log warn: Invalid fan speed requested: off

EDIT: also, not sure if this was intended or not, but the child devices just get created with generic-sounding names of "fan" or "light," in contrast to many other composite devices that get created with similar child device names pre-pended with the parent name first:

EDIT 2: Also getting periodic errors like this (not doing anything with the switch myself at the time):

3 Likes

thats exactly whats happening to me, thanks for checking it out.

1 Like

Will do, although it may be a month or so before I upgrade. I've only been a Hubitat user since May, but the one thing that I did learn so far (not a criticism of Hubitat's staff) is that one should grab some popcorn :popcorn: and sit on the sidelines or a week watching issues pop up on this forum before updating your own stuff.

Speaking of updates, the firmware that shipped on the LZW36 has an issue that causes sporadic disconnects from the canopy module. An air-gap of the switch will restore the connection. There is a long, rambling thread on the Inovelli support forums that contains a "beta" driver link and a pointer to a custom version of the Hubitat Z-Wave firmware updater to write the new firmware's binary file format to the switch. As a workaround, turning off the three power reporting settings in the driver with the original firmware seems to prevent the disconnects until the firmware is updated.....

Prudent advice! As a rule I usually do that, too.

2.2.3 was one of the few times I upgraded immediately as I really needed some of the fixes/changes ASAP.

1 Like

Ok, so I think I understand what you are saying now. When you say:

Old Driver - you are talking about the Inovelli Official driver from our InovelliUSA github

When you say:

New Driver - you are talking about the Hubitat driver that is built into their hub

It sounds like there is a bug in the Hubitat provided driver with turning the fan Off. That version also will not have all of the preferences that the Official Inovelli driver has.

If you use our official driver there are some more updates that I released today:

One strange thing that I am noticing that I haven't seen before. @bcopeland After I include the device on a C-7 and switch from the Hubitat driver to the Inovelli driver it seems like all the capabilities and attributes do not get updated. It seems like the capabilities are stuck on the previous version of the driver. I have no idea how that would work, but it is what I am observing.

It is only showing these values and if I refresh the page they disappear except for "numberOfButtons".

Also, the child devices are created in a way that they can't be deleted if someone prefers to switch to our driver.

1 Like

Yesss please include the ability to delete the 'fan' & 'light' child devices when using the custom driver!

Something similar happened to me on an unrelated custom driver I was developing, and I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong (did I not declare the attribute correctly? was I sending garbage data as an event value? both doubtful when I tried simple data types like "string" and "number"...). Custom attributes I had already declared in the "original" version of my driver (pre-2.2.3 and possibly pre-2.2.2) still worked as expected, but any "new" ones disappeared when the page refreshed, suggesting the hub didn't really think they were real. :thinking:

I thought it was just me, but I'm glad you brought this up! Sounds like something might be going on...

2 Likes

Are you from inovelli? I'll try the new driver you recommend. Right now I'm using Inovelli's driver and is working flawlessly.

He is. See link below, near bottom of the page.

https://inovelli.com/our-story/

1 Like

I noticed something similar today working on a user driver, we're looking into it.

2 Likes

Thanks @bertabcd1234 checking on that .

Any update on fixing the hubitat driver? Had to rejoin a switch today and the default hubitat driver took over. I switched it to the inoveli driver but the fan and light component devices wont go away. Trying to get things back i removed the inoveli spawned component devicea and now i cant get them back.

How come the fan/light switch is not available on Amazon ?

Inovelli products come and go on Amazon as their stock allows them to provide them. Around Black Friday no Inovelli products were listed on Amazon. Most were out of stock on their site too. The manufacturing world is in a tough spot still and patience really has become a virtue in ordering a number of things.