[Solved] Critical built-in app bug with no way to reinstall it

It's good to hear they are so responsive! I genuinely think it has something to do with input validation while creating a rule. I actually distinctly recall what I did the moment the issue occurred too so perhaps support will be able to replicate it.

I actually stumbled on the steps to do the factory reset in my search but stopped once I saw it temporarily breaks the hub without support intervention. With that said, I saw a staff post from Dec 2018 that said user factory reset is coming (although no timeline was given).

Resolved??

I'm eager to hear what happened. It's a cliffhanger. :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

I had the same problem with the Button Controller app. One child app was corrupt and I could not uninstall the app (exact same as reported here). In my case I was able to restore to an earlier backup but lost about three hours of changes...

@csteele

I'm still waiting to hear from engineering unfortunately. It seems they are at least aware of the issue.

@drsprange

Good to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this nasty bug. The first thing I'm going to do is make a backup if I can ever get this issue resolved.

Just an update: Engineering (or more specifically Chuck) was awesome and was able to use my current DB backup to repair the Simple Lighting app. As a result, I didn't have to do a factory reset and everything is working perfectly now.

On a side note, it seems there's now a streamlined factory reset process that involves no intervention from support. I'm not sure if it's ready for public release just yet so I won't post the link here but it's also awesome to see local factory reset is now possible.

3 Likes

That's awesome.

Its funny when you see posts bashing HE for not having feature X or Y not knowing that it's being worked on and they obviously can't talk about it yet. We sometimes have to give them time to get it polished up for us to use.

Makes me excited to think about what else they have going on behind the scenes.

I agree and I think I owe an apology to HE because I bashed them a bit for lacking factory reset functionality. After speaking with engineering, it's obvious they are well aware of this issue and have been working behind the scenes to get it implemented. In addition, it also seems they have already identified the bug I experienced so it seems like it'll be fixed in a future build. Nicely done HE! :smiley:

6 Likes