Solar PV

Hi guys,
I just had installed 18 solar pv panels on my roof. I m using 2 Huawei SUN2000-4ktl-L1 invertors.

Is it possible to add them to hubitat and make them comunicate with my tado trv's and AC controller?

My ideea of automation is to turn the AC on when the PV production is above 2kwh and in the evening when the PVs production decrease to turn off the AC and start the tado trv's.

Thank you

1 Like

I wanted to do the same with my Sunsynk inverters (and to be able to start a generator if the grid is down and the level of the batteries falls below a set point), but it seems that inverter manufacturers are reluctant to make an API available or simply don't have them.
If I search the web, the only people who have accomplished what we want to do, are the ones using Home Assistant with an RS-232 cable to the inverter. Another option is software known as Solar-Assistant if your inverter is supported, but again, no Hubitat interface that I know of.

1 Like

Does your inverter have one or more dry contact switches that could be triggered? Many inverter manufacturers install these specifically to trigger a generator when necessary. My Victron MultiPlus, used to power an exercise studio and sauna on our property, has two. Worth checking into, I'd suggest.

Appreciate your comments. My issue is not starting the generator. The issue is knowing when the batteries fall below say 30%. If I'm able to get that info from the inverter, I should be able to accomplish the rest with a bit of trial and error (probably using something like the Fibaro Implant). However, there seems to be no way of getting the battery info into Hubitat. One way of getting the info, is by using the RS232 port on the inverter to read the data (like the guys to with Home Assistant), or use an application such as Solar-Assistant (which supports my inverter), but someone has to write the "interface" (not sure what it is called) to make the Solar-Assistant data available in Hubitat. The latter would be the easier and preferable option.
The goal would be to create a virtual battery device in Hubitat using that data and use a rule to close the Fibaro Implant's contact (to start the generator) when the battery drops below 30%.

I wish I had an answer for you on this one, but I don't, as I'm not a coder.

1 Like

Hi @user2819

I have 17 panels that were activated in mid-November. My inverters are from Enphase.

I've learned that the Enphase app (which uses the Cloud) is too slow for practical automations. So, I've installed a device called Sense for home and solar power monitoring. There are other options for power monitoring, but this is what I have.

To integrate data from the Sense unit, I've set up Home Assistant. In Hubitat I use Maker API and Home Assistant Device Bridge. But there are some issues pulling some of the data into HE, so I'm using HA to set virtual switches (which are configured in HE). I plan to use switch states to control operation of my cooling/heating system.

I'm still in the testing phase - it's autumn here. I have two heat pumps, so a bit of logic is required. I'm doing the main logic automations to set switches in HA (Node Red). HE can read the switch states and control the operation of my Ecobee thermostats.

So, I think I'm doing the type of control/automation that you describe. Good luck with your system!

1 Like

I'd be interested here. Someone has written an API here:

It would be interesting to know if the data could be imported into habitat somehow?

I managed to find a workaround to get the battery's SOC info as reported by the Sunsynk app, into Hubitat. I made a post how I accomplished this.

Solar-Assistant supports a lot of inverters and has MQTT support. I'm going to be working on getting that going so I can tell when Solar power levels drop below a certain point so I can turn off certain high power devices.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.