Socket driving me nuts

I have an outlet which I switch on & off via IFTTT (it's a device managed by SmartLife). It works fine from the devices page, albeit with a 2 or 3 second delay. However over the last few weeks I've found the light attached to the outlet coming on and off at strange times when I don't think it's triggered by any routine. I can see in IFTTT that HE is triggering the socket on/off. When I check events in HE I've actually found it's going on and off on a regular basis. But I can't for the life of me find any rule that would make this happen! Am I or the hub going mad?!? :thinking:

Seems there is a timer or something since it is switching so regularly, hourly then a few minutes later and maybe related to sunset time?!?! There is nothing set up in SmartLife to do this. And IFTTT logging shows the action is being triggered by HE anyway. What the heck?

I'm using the Virtual Always Switch driver purloined from somewhere on this forum, because I've found it's perfect for forcing the outlet to switch even if HE thinks it is already in a certain state (I've found this helpful to force the state to be synchronised when using IFTTT and SmartLife). Here's the driver. Its do simple I don't think there is any issue here.

Any tips on how to diagnose this further would be appreciated. I've basically paused all the HE rules associated with this device apart from a very few that I think definitely wouldn't switch it on/off like this.

Yours confused...

1 Like

I'm just as confused. :slight_smile: There is nothing in that driver that would make it turn on/off without an app, you, or something else acting on it. If you try disabling the device in Hubitat, that would be one way to make sure the problem isn't coming from outside (this will stop the device from participating in any automation: all apps, including rules and your IFTTT integration). If it still happens, then something on IFTTT, SmartLife, or something else would have to be doing this.

I'm sure you know how to find possibilities on the Hubitat side, but if not, the "In use by" section on the device page would be a good starting point--check app the apps it's in use by. I'm not as familiar with how to do this on IFTTT or SmartLife, but it sounds like you may have already checked the former. One of these things might help narrow it down, at least.

2 Likes

Yeah, mostly just sharing to try to get my own thoughts in order! It's very strange behaviour indeed. I will disable the device as you suggest and see if it still gets triggered somehow. I don't think it will because IFTTT shows it as being triggered by HE, but it's worth a try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.